A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th January 2018, 09:38 PM

Just recalling the initial failing...
Id been in to a car partk for an interview. Had obviously detailed the car over the nights before to look as s****y as me! No issues at all on 2 minute drive over. Left, reversed out and selected drive to exit. As i added a few revs and awaited the drive to take up, there was nothing up to 2000rpm. It just sat stationary. I think I switched the car on and off at this point and may have even locked / unlocked it to see if there was some quirky glitch. Tried to move away again and had no drive. Out of desperation, I gently squeezed the revs up and just over 2000rpm there was a horrendous thump and the selector lights on the dash illuminated. On adding revs to move, the car very lazily growled (Im catless!) and hauled itself in to life. It was obvious that it was in a locked higher gear but it was moving. I very gingerly moved on to a main road and as the speed increased the car became more responsive in its progress. From here on, each standing start was laboured but no thumps in the drivetrain.
Over the coming days, a pattern developed. It will take up drive in reverse without issue. The first attempt at forwards drive was always met with the thump - but you learnt to soften it. Very slow and sensitive raising of the revs to around 1800 (i think) and tickle it and it would more gently drop in to drive.
Then it was parked up and the investigation put on hold after the gearbox man condemned it with a potential £2500 rebuild price (which I appreciate isnt extortionate for this type of work)
Today, I have had a photo sent of the gearbox ecu (Im presuming on the bulkhead) and the pins are sparkling clean. I have passed on the rest of your great advice and see how it all develops.
Thanks again folks, Paul