A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 19th March 2018, 11:13 AM

Default Headlight fault

Hi all

Am I imagining that there was a thread on here regarding a fix on the wiring of the headlight, that solved faults in the 'see around corners' function?

I have had this fault for about a year now and have mustered the courage to have a go at resolving.

So I started with the suspension height level sensors, giving the connections a clean etc but that doesn't appear to be the root cause.

I am sure there was a discussion about a section of the headlight wiring splits/separates but a forum search returns nothing. Does anyone else recall the thread?

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 19th March 2018, 06:47 PM

New to the D3 scene but have always read the posts anyway. Mine has the same fault, but has only happened three times since I got it at the start of February. I'm sure I've read somewhere that the reason for the fault occurring was due to the wiring being too short to the light and that the movement caused the wires to fracture.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone has ever changed that particular bulb as the yellowish colour looks cheap compared to the whiter headlights. Too cold, no garage and no patience at the moment to even look at it.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 19th March 2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Too cold, no garage and no patience at the moment to even look at it.
+1 Sean.
I managed to do a couple of adaptation scans for another member, but I had the engine running to keep me warm.
the main job I need to do is driver.s door mirror heating. Need it during cold weather but it is too cold to bother.
Catch 22

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 19th March 2018, 08:13 PM

Do you have the adaptive headlight warning error light on the display?
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 20th March 2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
.... I'm sure I've read somewhere that the reason for the fault occurring was due to the wiring being too short to the light and that the movement caused the wires to fracture.
Yes, this! I’m positive that is what I read, now where is it.......

And yes Kele, I have the yellow headlight with an arrow DIS warning. It used to annoy me each time I started the car but now I hardly notice, that is until the wife reminds me “what’s that flashing light?”

Oddly enough her A6 C6 Avant has the same fault!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 20th March 2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
Yes, this! I’m positive that is what I read, now where is it.......
I'm positive I've read it here as well but haven't found anything using the Search tool. However, I did find the following video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKngB6OcPvA

Unfortunately, the wiring in question is inside the headlight unit, and that means bumper off to remove the unit, and then fix.

Given what he says in the video, I suppose you could preempt the problem by replacing the cable tie and allowing for a bit more movement.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Last edited by steamship; 20th March 2018 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Cable tie line
Old 20th March 2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, the wiring in question is inside the headlight unit, and that means bumper off to remove the unit, and then fix.
And bumper off means both wheel liners out...

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 20th March 2018, 12:39 PM

I have read about it on A6 sections of other forums, not on here.
I wondered at the time if it affected our A8s as they are very similar lights (very bad quality for such an expensive car)
Old 20th March 2018, 08:56 PM

OK. On mine I had the same symptoms. It turned out to be the headlight control module....
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 20th March 2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I have read about it on A6 sections of other forums, not on here.
That might be the case for me as well, but not saying which one (if I could remember). No free advertising 'other' forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I wondered at the time if it affected our A8s as they are very similar lights (very bad quality for such an expensive car)
From the video I linked to, it seems to have affected quite a lot of the Audi range.

Just a case of 'German efficiency' being just a tad too efficient with the cable tie.