A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 28th January 2014, 10:01 PM

Default Two things

Does anyone have an English copy of SSP 385? I can only find it in German.

Next thing reading about the gearboxes in D3's there is a decoupling feature when the car is stationary thereby not sitting with load on it.

My old 3 series had this feature and one could feel it when you pulled up at lights and kept it in drive with your foot on the brake, you could hear and feel the drive being disengaged.

Can you D3 drivers keep an awareness for this and let me know if your car does this.

On mine it doesn't matter how long i sit with my foot on the brake she is always engaged and pulling.

I checked with VCDS and there is no faults in gearbox and the meas blocks show the brake switch working.

Cheers

Old 29th January 2014, 06:23 AM

Not noticed this on my 2004 D3, the box seems to work the same it did on my D2. Are you sure your not confusing the conventional automatic with the dual clutch DSG (whatever Audi call it) box, the latter does disconnect drive when on the footbrake.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 29th January 2014, 08:14 AM

Pretty sure both my D3s are/were the same, if you ease off the brake slightly, it'll creep forward even with the lights lit and some pressure in the system.

I know.. I know..

Old 29th January 2014, 08:33 AM

Yep that's exactley how mine behaves, I find it quite annoying too as when gently coming to a stop, when the box changes to 1st I quite often find it starts creeping forward again as there is more torque in the lower gear overcoming the brake friction.

Old 29th January 2014, 08:50 PM

Tested the Wife's X5 which has a ZF box and it behaves the same way... Think pretty much every proper auto I've driven has done the same, the XC90 was the same too and it was some dodgy chinese box.

I know.. I know..

Old 29th January 2014, 09:06 PM

Quote from this SSP

From Page 10

"The "stationary vehicle decoupling" function reduces engine output when the vehicle is stopped with a gear engaged by interrupting power transmission. In addition to reducing consumption, ride comfort is enhanced due to the fact that less braking force is required (for more details refer to Part 2 SSP 284, Page 30 onwards)."

Curious how it says its a feature yet its not there???

Edit may have just found the answer

Stationary vehicle decoupling is a special feature of the 09E.
With the vehicle stationary (engine idling) and a gear engaged, the torque converter already transmits a certain torque level. With the brake released, this results in the vehicle "creeping forward". With the brake pressed, the torque transmitted represents a certain loss, as the idling speed has to be kept constant by adjusting the idling torque (further opening of throttle valve).
As well as increasing fuel consumption, constant brake application (a certain pedal force is required to hold the vehicle) results in a loss of comfort.
The stationary vehicle decoupling function reduces the torque converter power flow to the planetary gearbox with the vehicle stationary and the brake applied ("Brake pressed" info from F and F47) by regulating the clutch A.
In addition, stationary vehicle decoupling reduces the noise level with the engine idling as the engine load is lower.
Stationary vehicle decoupling is not activated in reverse gear.
With the current design philosophy, stationary vehicle decoupling is only activated at present in the ATF temperature range between approx. 15°C and 50°C.
Functional description:
Stationary vehicle decoupling is controlled by calculating the converter torque from engine and turbine speeds (speed difference). Further factors in the calculation are the ATF temperature and gradient.
Stationary vehicle decoupling not active:
Vehicle stationary, engine idling and turbine shaft not turning; 100 % speed difference/slip
Stationary vehicle decoupling active:
Vehicle stationary, engine idling and turbine shaft turning at a defined speed difference (approx. 120 rpm); slip approx. 20 %
To ensure immediate, smooth starting, the power flow is not completely interrupted. A low converter torque level is always transmitted, thus eliminating meshing cycles and improving clutch control action.
Stationary vehicle decoupling is deactivated immediately if a gearbox output speed (G195) is detected while the decoupling function is active. The power flow is established before the driver accelerates, thus largely preventing vehicle rollback on slopes.
Brake release ("Brake not pressed" info) also deactivates stationary vehicle decoupling irrespective of other parameters.
Exceeding a defined accelerator pedal value (with brake pressed) deactivates stationary vehicle decoupling.
This permits checking of the stall speed (stall test).

Last edited by Delboy; 29th January 2014 at 09:28 PM.