A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 12th October 2016, 10:28 AM

My corner of the world. My parents are buried in the churchyard at Thorpe Satchville south of Melton. Was in the area just a few days ago.

Love Stilton, hate pork pies!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th October 2016, 12:05 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
melton mowbray ...for the pork pies or the stilton?

have you considered oakham ?

Yes, Oakham is within our search area.

But as for other local delicacies, you've forgotten Ruddles beer! So a wee lunch of pork pie, stilton cheese and a pint of Ruddles please.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 12th October 2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
you've forgotten Ruddles beer! So a wee lunch of pork pie, stilton cheese and a pint of Ruddles please.
Nope, it's long gone!

Used to be brewed (when I were a lad) at Langham near Oakham but it was bought out decades ago and moved to a big beer factory near Reading.
Not sure where it's made now and haven't seen it in ages.

Bury St Edmunds! http://www.ruddles.co.uk/
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th October 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Did they carry out a specific repair, or was it a 'full gearbox rebuild'?

I'm very tempted to have mine done as a precaution before we move - which is looking like fairly soon as we're all being made redundant today and we've already had an offer on our house (a bit low, but at least there is some interest).
Good to hear you got the desired result eventually Jim, welcome to Last of The Summer Wine

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 13th October 2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Good to hear you got the desired result eventually Jim, welcome to Last of The Summer Wine
Yes congrats from me too Jim, the waiting and extra hassle it entailed paid off in the end, and good luck with the move. . . . of course you realise you'll have to give up your Laird title!! now can we think of one appropriate to the area youre going to hehehe

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 13th October 2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Sorry to hear about the redundancy too Jim. Hope you've got something else lined up.

I'll post the photos soon, but it was a full re-manufacture. Didn't seem worth doing anything less and, as it turned out when they stripped it down, a re-manufacture was definitely needed.

It's something I'd always planned for but, coming just weeks after spending 2.5K on a very thorough and major service (including preventively replacing the notorious oil cooler pipe), I had to do a sanity check and decide whether the car should just go. I even started looking at some D3s/D4s for sale online, which did nothing for me, so I eventually came to the conclusion that I had failed the sanity check and should pour some more money into the D2.

I don't like doing things by halves so I also had them replace the 'F125' range sensor/switch and check the entire drive-train, including a rear diff oil change. To recondition the box and torque converter cost £2,100, removal and refit was £480 and the ATF was £85 (all +VAT). With the F125 switch and a few other bits, the total was £3.5K, including VAT.

I probably could've bought a small house with the amount I've spent on this car since I bought it 6 years ago. Which is ironic, because if I spend much more on it, I think Lyn will make me go live in it!
That's pretty much what I had done several years ago - again by Mackies - never looked back, just serviced with them every year or two since then.
Old 13th October 2016, 04:48 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
. . of course you realise you'll have to give up your Laird title!! now can we think of one appropriate to the area youre going to hehehe
No chance - my wife bought me an official title and a square metre of land up here, so I am a 'real' Laird!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 13th October 2016, 04:57 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
That's pretty much what I had done several years ago - again by Mackies - never looked back, just serviced with them every year or two since then.
Good to know your Mackie's rebuilt box has lasted!

After seeing how many parts are in the things, despite my faith in Mackies, I have to admit I was a little nervous driving back. I've been out in the car a few times since though and it's still perfect and smooth so hopefully it will last many years. Clearly they're confident enough with their own work to give a 3 year warranty.

I have to take it back to them for a service in 12 months (just to keep the warranty valid) but I'll probably take it back to them for all future services too now, time allowing.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 13th October 2016, 06:17 PM

Ok, here's some of the photos.

Just to add: The box had an unknown history when I bought the car @ 80K miles (although it did look like it had been changed/painted recently at the time), so I had always planned/expected to have it rebuilt at some point. It worked perfectly (or so I thought) in the 6 years since and there were never any fault codes. I had the fluid and filter changed recently because it had been feeling a bit sluggish. After the fluid change it started making whining noises on acceleration and occasionally thumping between gears (still no fault codes). After re-checking levels and confirming the correct fluid and filter had been used, I decided it was time to either scrap the car or get the box rebuilt. Having already spent thousands on the car recently, spending even more to get the box fixed seemed the only logical (but perhaps not sane) choice. So I hit the road at 5am a few days later and headed for Glasgow.

In the first lot of photographs, Mackies had a problem with their camera unfortunately, so the photos are partially obscured. They bought a new camera soon after though so the rebuild photos are much better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4627.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	14544Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4622.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	14545Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4625.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	14546Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4623.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	14547Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4624.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	14548Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4626.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	14549Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4628.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	14550Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4629.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	14551Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4638.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	14552Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4641.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	14553

More to follow shortly ....

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 13th October 2016, 06:27 PM

One thing I found interesting, speaking to John at Mackie, was that, in their experience/opinion, these boxes are incredibly reliable and are capable of hundreds of thousands of miles. I wondered if that was because, from their viewpoint, they rarely see them in for repair, largely because owners choose to scrap the vehicles instead.

More dismantling photos ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4636.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	14554Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4630.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	574.4 KB
ID:	14555Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4633.jpg
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	14556Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4640.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	14557Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4632.jpg
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	14558Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4639.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	14559Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4637.jpg
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	14560Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4631.jpg
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	14561Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4634.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	361.1 KB
ID:	14562Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4642.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	14563

Cars Owned: