A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Fuel and Exhausts

D3 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 11th September 2014, 06:23 PM

Angry Argh! Give me strength with this damn car!!!! MASSES of black smoke, loss of power

To say I'm pretty fed up with spending money on this car would be an understatement, a HUGE understatement!

Has anyone any info on an EGR blank and remap? I've had the DPF removal/map but still have this damn egr.

My inlet manifolds are lined with skanky cruddy exhaust gunk, the car is hesitant at best when accelerating and sometimes I lose the turbo (though not in limp mode as she'll rev past 3k, black clouds of smoke are SO thick it's like someone turned the lights out for the poor cars behind.

I've replaced the egr valve before for a different reason, yet to plug the car in but will do next week.

AFM has never been changed, that's an expensive gamble.

Recently serviced with a new air filter also (I know it was fitted because I put it in lol)

Please fire ideas at me. It's bleeding me dry to the point it's gonna make me bankrupt. I can't deal with much more

Thanks in advance guys.

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 11th September 2014, 06:25 PM

Oh, just to add, when I'm driving along and the turbo suddenly just decides to go to sleep, I get no warning lights, nothing is different except the engine struggles to move the car.
I pull over, turn the car off and back on again and it can be fine for the rest if the journey.

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 11th September 2014, 06:39 PM

Well, the gunk is usually oil mist from the turbo that has combined with smoke/soot from the EGR.

If your EGR is disabled, it shouldn't really continue to build up, but the symptoms shound like EGR stuck open.

When the engine requests EGR, it looks for a coresponding drop in air metered by the airflow meter (that's how it meters the EGR). So if the EGR is stuck open, it doesn't see any drop and keeps increasing the duty cycle until the exhaust smoke is just black smoke.

I remember you changed your engine for a later one, so not sure if you have the vacuum operated EGR of A8 engines or the the later electronic one still used on current models. Assuming vacuum - if you pull off the EGR vacuum pipe with the engine running, can you hear it snap shut?

Last edited by snapdragon; 11th September 2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11th September 2014, 09:11 PM

Hi Becky
Long time no see.
I can't really offer much more advice than what just snapdragon said, so I'm just replying to say Hi
I hope you will get this sorted.

How did it go with the front end repair, all in order now after the accident??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 15th September 2014, 08:59 AM

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in replying.

The EGR is the original 2007 system (though has been replaced with a new unit since)
Think I'll go with replacing the valve again. for now and see how that goes.

Hi Marcin, yep S8 front end all sweet now thank you. How is your xenon conversion going?

Old 17th September 2014, 07:38 AM

Blank and have a word with the chaps who did the DPF/remap. It's minor to disable the EGR after that and all OBD.
Old 18th September 2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8 Doc View Post
Blank and have a word with the chaps who did the DPF/remap. It's minor to disable the EGR after that and all OBD.
Unfortunately, the chaps that did the DPF removal were a bunch of idiots, nowhere to be seen.

I have a sneaky suspicion the turbo us on its way out. the actuator is showing a fault

Old 18th September 2014, 01:53 PM

My mundano did similar many years ago.. split intercooler was the culprit.

I know.. I know..