A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 4th July 2014, 07:07 AM

Default Oil leak?

The last couple of times it's been raining I've noticed what looks like oil on the driveway at the front of the car.

From what I can remember there's never been a pool appear when it's dry.

I had a quick look underneath the last time and didn't really see anything.

Anyone have any suggestions though? Could it just be the rain washing down oil from an over fill etc?

Old 4th July 2014, 07:28 AM

Check your steering rack as well.
You might have early stages of a steering rack leak.
Look around the gaiter inside the wheel arch although the puddle on the ground normally has quite a few splash marks with the drips falling from a height.
Old 4th July 2014, 08:27 AM

I'll take a look. The gaitor is visible from inside the front of the wheel arch then?

The oil is literally just under the bumper though, as if it's fallen on the inside lip of the bumper then run off. Is there anything around this area that is directly above the underside of the bumper?

Very little room to see anything sadly!
Old 4th July 2014, 09:21 AM

Would be looking at oil coolers or pas bottle

Old 4th July 2014, 02:14 PM

The steering rack gaiter will be located to the rear edge of the wheel and above.
I've just had that pleasure and when the leak starts, the fluid can be thrown about a bit by the airflow behind the wheel. You'd see evidence on the inner arch plus probably on the back of the tyre/rim.
But when you stop and park up, you'd also find the puddle directly below the track rod end.
Whilst researching my own problems though I found quite a few other owners talking about pipes coming off gradually and leaks at the underside of the PAS bottle etc.
You'll no if it's power steering fluid by the smell. Completely different to engine oil in my experience.
Old 4th July 2014, 08:16 PM

It may also be washing off the intercooler-if the presure pipes are a little loose, the oily crud starts to blow out with the turbo pressure

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 21st July 2014, 11:52 AM

Finally got round to having a look at this yesterday. I popped the fog light grill of and sure enough it looks to be coming from the pipes at the bottom corner of the inter cooler.

Is this a common problem? I've it booked in for next Monday to get looked at so hopefully it's just a hose split and not something more serious.
Old 31st July 2014, 10:12 PM

Just in case anyone else has a similar problem, I left the car in with Audi and it turned out to be a split headlight washer hose. It had been seeping out and washing any old oil or sludge onto the ground, hence the staining.
Old 16th September 2014, 12:56 PM

I have another leak in the same area!

There has been a small number of drops of oil on the ground below the near side fog light. The car is in with Audi at present and they sent me a video showing the affected area.

The technical says that it is power steering oil and there may be a split in the hose. They would have to take the bumper off to examine further.

If it is the hose, does anyone know if it would be an easy DIY fix? Or would be a relatively simple thing for a dealer and just let them do it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pipe.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	9044