A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 24th May 2023, 06:07 PM

Correct, as far as I know.

As you can maybe infer from the photo there are two parts to the F125, with a single twin-arm component that swings over the two sets of tracks.
The contacts are a different design each side, no idea why, other than "maybe" because the gearbox side only carries electronic signals, the other carries real current, e.g. to the brake lights!
So you can get a failure/wear/breakage on one side (starter and reverse lights) and the other (gearbox/ECU) still works.
BUT a failure may mean debris inside which can migrate across.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F125contacts.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	29577  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 24th May 2023 at 06:09 PM.
Old 24th May 2023, 08:24 PM

Great...
Now pretty sure can get to the bottom of this....
Will report back
Many thanks.

P.S MK...your comment re the designer of the F125..... !!
Goodness....

Last edited by donp38; 24th May 2023 at 08:27 PM.
Old 25th May 2023, 04:44 PM

So update.
I have a 204 relay in that position.
So make a bridge and see if it starts...
Wish me luck.
Old 25th May 2023, 06:05 PM

Right then.
Found the relay 204 (1) in passenger footwell, next to relay 370.
removed 204(1) and put my jumper in.
Reconnected battery and horn continually sounds.
disconnect.
Had a look around and there is another 204(2) relay higher up in the footwell.
swapped over relays (obviously removed jumper).

No Horn, non starting...

I should now try and jump the relay 204(2).

wish me luck.
Old 25th May 2023, 06:15 PM

I had a similar "no start" issue last year. (Missed my sons MSc graduation at Liverpool John Moores stuck at Tebay watching Teslas come and go at the Supercharger bays - most embarrassing ) Thanks to MJs input i got started again and later bridged the relay to bypass the go/no-go issue with the F125 which is still in place today. I tried another relay but it was not the issue. Funny enough the bridge is still in place today and i have had no other issues with the F125 (AAAARGH - the D2 God will have heard that and will smite me shortly!)
The last photo shows the jump lead we fixed up with the AA at Tebay after MJs advice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jumper for relay.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	29578   Click image for larger version

Name:	jumper in place of relay.jpg
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	29579   Click image for larger version

Name:	jumper in place of relay1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	29580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay from F125.jpg
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	29581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jump lead between earth point and connector.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	29582  
Old 25th May 2023, 06:58 PM

Fab...Jumper done and engine started...
Thank you to all for your assistance and patience.

My next question is this....Does it cause any harm to leave it with the jumper in place?

I will check the vehicel history, but I seam to remember this vehicle needing to be recovered twice in its 80k miles for non -starting being traced to the 'gearbox switch'..

If it is simply a point of inhibiting starting in gear...I'll be happy to leave it as it is.
please advise as I don't want to cause any damage.

thanks again.
A single malt for me tonight.
cheers.
Old 25th May 2023, 07:13 PM

As both HP and I have said, this can be left in place without seeming to be a problem. The rest of the F125 seems to behave. Glad you got it sorted and enjoy your dram
Old 25th May 2023, 08:37 PM

Well..
Whilst enjoying my Single Malt I thought I would look through the history again as I felt the vehicle had had a F125 switch quite recently.

Well..in the last 4000 miles it has had THREE F125 switches!

I can see they are cheap ones....at £165 to the customer....

So, is this because they were cheap switches, or is there something that was causing the switch to fail?

The history shows 'Non Start Recovery' + the diagnosis and the work itemised.

Any one?

Cheers
Old 25th May 2023, 09:18 PM

You found the relay eventually, as my thread noted it's high up under the flap of deadening material.
Price of the F125 doesn't sound far off, but how much to fit, they are NOT easy! Might be an incorrect diagnosis.

What single malt by the way? I took a 3-bottle delivery of Islay Malts today (Fèis Ìle 2023 starts tomorrow!) and am about to choose one..... (I have others too!)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 25th May 2023 at 09:22 PM.
Old 25th May 2023, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
The last photo shows the jump lead we fixed up with the AA at Tebay after MJs advice.
Snap!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RelayBypass.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	29583   Click image for larger version

Name:	jumper for relay.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	29584  

Last edited by HPsauce; 25th May 2023 at 09:33 PM.