A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 1st September 2013, 06:38 AM

Default D2 S8. Brake master cylinder.

Morning chaps.

Are the brake master cylinders rebuildable with new seals or is it a case of replacing the old one with an new one?

Thanks

Steve
Old 1st September 2013, 01:29 PM

I can't see anything much in Etka that looks like a rebuild kit - they're about £230

Etka page attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf brake master.pdf (24.0 KB, 386 views)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:25 AM

Thanks Adrian. If they are anything like the master cylinder on my 90 the they are not rebuildable. Ho Hum.
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:50 AM

Is it physically leaking or a symptom you're experiencing? Not sure it's a common failure point on these.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 5th September 2013, 06:23 AM

The problem I'm getting is long pedal travel with generally poor braking performance. The overall performance has deteriorated over a period of time and with EBC discs and Yellowstuff pads the braking is normally very strong . I've changed the fluid repeatedly, bled the system again and again, changed the discs, pads. I'm now looking at the master cylinder as I'm running out of options. I also have a servo issue, which has just come to light, but I think this is just the servo hose leaking or split.
Old 5th September 2013, 06:31 AM

I was going to suggest brake booster as a possible cause - more likely than the master cylinder if it's not physically leaking fluid. You would expect dodgy seals in the master cylinder to lead to loss of fluid somewhere in the system?

Old 5th September 2013, 06:38 AM

Before you shell out on a new master cylinder, check for flex first. Ask someone to look under the bonnet how much the master clylinder flexes when you press the brake pedal hard. In the States they found on some cars it gets looser and moves too much, so they invented a 'brake block' which wedges between the cross bar and the end of the master cylinder to stop the firewall flexing.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/5802.phtml

https://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/10684.phtml
Old 5th September 2013, 10:09 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Before you shell out on a new master cylinder, check for flex first. Ask someone to look under the bonnet how much the master clylinder flexes when you press the brake pedal hard. In the States they found on some cars it gets looser and moves too much, so they invented a 'brake block' which wedges between the cross bar and the end of the master cylinder to stop the firewall flexing.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/5802.phtml

https://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/10684.phtml
I bought one of these off the guy in the states. Nice little modification, and seems to firm up the pedal feel when making "swift" progress. Beautifully made as well, and a perfect fit.

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 7th September 2013, 04:52 PM

Sorted!. It turned out to be valve in the servo hose just after it comes out of the inlet manifold. I changed this and everything is fine. Pedal travel normal and brakes as sharp as they should be.

I checked for flexing a couple of months ago and things were OK in this department but getting one of those blocks could be a good investment.

Thanks guys.

Steve