A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 11th February 2018, 08:18 AM

don't think neighbours will be up for it. For me it is not a problem as it is, just don't want to upset neighbours.

Not sure about that EPA noise regulation, I measured middle of the night on the street away from house and it was still 46dB, maybe my meter is wrong The phone is showing a lot lower readings , way too low and it's not made to be sound meter so I don't trust phone much.

Thinking more about sound insulation I am not too keen about fridge as it's a lot of work and quite messy to cut all those holes in thin sheet metal. I may go back to it but for now I am thinking about other possibilities. Now with the ducts it seems most of the noise comes from the sides of miner. Maybe I could use some 10 or 12" acoustic ducting and put the whole miner in it? Or possibly use something like this:https://www.multifoil-insulation.com...4m+x+1.5m+Roll to wrap the miner.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 11th February 2018, 09:15 AM

Can you not use bricks or concrete flags? Cheap and 100% fire proof!
Old 11th February 2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
Can you not use bricks or concrete flags? Cheap and 100% fire proof!
I did consider using blocks to build separate compartment in garage 2x2m and 2m high but that's more than 2 pallets of blocks + delivery + mortar + job + door that all adds up plus it's time consuming and a bit messy. Also will still need something to create ceiling for it. The roof and the doors are were the most of noise from garage is escaping, I don't think it's too much through brick wall.

Maybe I could just build small compartments for each miner out of couple of blocks at least one for trial.

8 history:
Old 11th February 2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I did consider using blocks to build separate compartment in garage 2x2m and 2m high but that's more than 2 pallets of blocks + delivery + mortar + job + door that all adds up plus it's time consuming and a bit messy. Also will still need something to create ceiling for it. The roof and the doors are were the most of noise from garage is escaping, I don't think it's too much through brick wall.

Maybe I could just build small compartments for each miner out of couple of blocks at least one for trial.
I was thinking a simple self standing "tunnel", two 9 inch blocks either side and a 2x2 flag for the top!?
Old 11th February 2018, 11:39 AM

To reduce the sound level. Have you tried to use old egg boxes?
I know they are sometimes used to modify acoustics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1061.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	17918  

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 11th February 2018, 07:44 PM

That would mean egg only diet for a long time for me. It might help in combination with other measure but I don't think they will do much on their own, plus i suspect they are highly flammable.

8 history:
Old 11th February 2018, 08:53 PM

You can get eggbox-shape sound deadening foam on ebay. I was going to use it to quieten the vegas but the cold-air feed from the loft did the job.
Old 12th February 2018, 01:13 PM

What calculators are you all using for working out the ROI on equipment?

I found this and was rather alarmed by what it told me.

Old 12th February 2018, 09:25 PM

A rough guide is the nicehash one....At the moment with the price crash it's all gone a bit scary. However most believe that the profits will rise again.
Even mining when not officially profitable vs your electricity costs, you can be buying altcoins at a discount to buying on an exchange!

My S7's are probably not profitable at a day rate to electricty at the moment....My S9 is probably still good and vs the price of importing from Bitmain may still pay off it's costs. My 4xGT970 rig was only a grand as still would probably pay for itself in hardware breakdown, but mining things like Electronium and Trezarcoin which have huge growth potential could pay off and is easily covering it's electricity costs and boosting the heat in my house lowering my overall energy costs too.....It's all more of a gamble than a sure fire way to make money, but the odds look a lot better than getting ~1% in an isa....I've also a few things like nutmeg, property partner, rate setter and a fair comfort buffer in a cash isa that means I don't need to earn income from this and my lifestyle won't be effected if it all goes to zero, but it could dramatically improve things in the long game!

What happens when you can't comfortably buy an decent D3 S8 (or D4 A8) (and you should really sell a few old cars before buying anything else)

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 13th February 2018, 05:28 PM

So a couple of updates about noise reduction.

Now I have 2x S9 and 1x L3+ working in the garage with the ducting adapters from Screwfix which are far from from flow optimised. S9 has 4ft of 4" ducting either side, L3 + only on exhaust. S9 are pretty much working on max fan speed and chip temp about 90C, I understand this is OK and S9 can go up to 110C. I have also put some bricks I had lying around on the sides of S9 and plywood on top. The noise has gone down from 80dB to about 70dB. L3+ does not respond well to noise reduction, it starts at 70dB but pretty much stays at 70C as it needs to crank up fan speed with the ducting attached and also I think the extra vent at the back let's more of the noise to escape. Intake ducting reduces flow a lot more than exhaust so I only have ducting on exhaust for L3+, noise has not reduced according to sound meter but pitch is more pleasent to the ears with less droning. with the proper ducting adapters results should be better. I also spoke to neighbour today and he is happy now with the reduced noise levels coming out of garage.

The 4" adapters I bought turned up yesterday but they were 117mm outer diameter on the ducting side so I could not use them and have sent back to the seller. Maybe it's for the best as I think I should have gone with 5" in the first place and have ordered 5" now from another supplier and also some 5" ducting.

I also bought Manrose 5" fan and have done some limited testing with it using only on intake. As I did not have any adapters yet I have just removed stock fans from S9 aligned it next to miner while the stock fans were still connected and running on the side. It was not ideal and some of air was escaping after running for 15 minutes the chip temps were 91C in the house with about 22C ambient temp so about the same like stucking 4ft of 4" ducting on either side of miner. It definitely has potential as it has the lowest noise so far at 65dB running air through miner and still leave about 20C temp reserve to max 110C for S9. The cooling should be improved a bit with the proper adapter. Another possibility is to stick a lower power exhaust fan something like 2500rpm/50dB to help it or use 6" Manrose fan which has higher CFM and static pressure. I have not received pulse generator yet so could not test it without stock fans connected but I can confirm that it stops hashing without fans connected. I can tell you those stock fans have some power, you cannot leave them running by the side of miner when take off, you need to hold them or tie or screw them down as they are trying to fly away.

I think for the rest of the evening I need to test how the temps are effected with just I I only use stock intake fan without exhaust to estimate the possible effect of using Manrose intake fan and a second lower power exhaust fan. And also to test how it works on L3+ in terms of cooling and noise level.

For the weekend I think I will make pigeon hole style shelving out of these blocks which are supposed to have great acoustic properties https://www.buildbase.co.uk/durox-10...010511-2800748 Using blocks on the side and then 3 across on the top I can create holes 620mm long, 420mm wide and 215mm high which will be just big enough to put 2 miners with power supply on the side in each hole. If I use 3 blocks on the base to lift it off the ground a bit I will need 18 blocks to create 3 pigeon holes to house 6 miners. I could even create unit 3 holes high bby 2 holes wide using 33 blocks and slightly wider holes but I din't really have enough power supply to use all of them anyway. If needed I can then use fire resistant MDF with holes drilled for ducts to close off ends and reduce noise but so fat it looks like It will not be needed. Even if I end up using Manrose fans holes will be long enough to fit miner and fan.

8 history: