A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 2nd August 2012, 04:12 PM

Still worth it in Glasgow... keeps the edge off the heat for those 3 days we get the sun

The Laird will let us know soon enough when we get round to finishing the job off.

I know.. I know..

Old 2nd August 2012, 08:57 PM

Red face

On that note when as i need you vag test as still parking sensors let me now thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goglawrie View Post
On that note when as i need you vag test as still parking sensors let me now thanks
Is that in code?
Old 15th August 2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloss View Post
Is that in code?
that or a good drink has been had.

My solar no longer works as i found out the other day when i got in it. Where should i be looking for the relay is it in the pass footwell? It's only when it stops you realise how good it is eh?

Bright yellow bus o love.

Last edited by Dezzy; 15th August 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 15th August 2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Its not getting the right panel thats the issue really. Its getting the wiring too. The wiring isnt mega special - But - it all runs down to a relay, and a fuse at (iirc) is 40amps as it has to be able to handle all the current for the blower motor - Its chunky cable, and I prefer to lift the whole circuit out in one piece, so it all clicks straight in factory spec. If you dont have all the wiring, you need to source relay, fuse, cables etc......

I can see I need to do this write up....

Donations accepted ....
...as it proved in practice with mine. All done now though, thank's to Ian's perseverance, patience, and perfectionism, and some understanding from his family over a couple of weekends. I'm really pleased with it, and it was working nicely for the meet at Haigh Hall - before the return to the normal summer monsoon weather in Manchester. Thanks Ian - I can't think of any other mods I'd like done at the moment

Last edited by tintin; 15th August 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 28th October 2012, 12:44 PM

Thought I'd post some pics of the spare solar panel I'm stripping ready to fit to my car, to go with Ian's excellent pics of the wiring side of things. Will add them as I go, along with some simplified info on fitting.

These are the clips you need to release to push the fabric internal cover back - they only need finger pressure to release them and there's one each side on the front edge. Sunroof needs to be slightly open to access them and you can then slide it back out of the way

This is how I got my panel - the whole thing complete with frame! At least it was protected in transit

With the interior trim pushed back this is what you see on a solar equipped car. This is the offside one - it appears when it was assembled they weren't all that careful as the wire is bent and the insulation is slightly damaged. Probably doesn't matter but will check it properly before fitting.

Passenger side view

The 'inside' view of the sunroof trim panel clips so you can see what it is you're unclipping - I just removed this one so I could see how it goes together - I don't need it as it's a different colour to mine

Trim panel out and this is the inner workings of the solar panel itself

With the roof panel shut, there are a total of 6 T25 torx screws to remove. 1/4" socket set gave plenty of access. I inverted the panel and undid the screws and lifted the frame off as I was working on my own and didn't fancy dropping it!

These are the remaining bits you need from the donor car

Close up view of the bit that actually does the work - the rectangular block is the contact between the solar panel and the wiring in the frame

E-markings on the glass - E11 is UK and E1 is Germany and Reg 43 relates to laminated glass

Top view of the panel off the car

Quick clean with Fast Glass later and the top side looks like new

Any tips from the detailing fetishists on how to clean the seal around the sides of the panel? It's more of a felt material than the rubber on the non-solar panels and I nearly fell off my chair when I priced up a replacement!! Thought if it was cheap and available I'd swap it anyway but that ain't happening

That's progress so far - will take some pics of the rails as I get them off. Any tips from anyone that's done it before? It looks like the wires go through the frame so no idea if there's a connector I'll see when I've undone the torx screws, or will I have to cut and rejoin the wiring?

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 28th October 2012, 01:21 PM

I used Turtle Wax Restorative Black Bumper & Trim Wax on mine Adrian, came up really well and seems to be lasting well too

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 28th October 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 28th October 2012, 01:46 PM

A steam cleaner and a small brush will bring the seal up like new

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 29th October 2012, 08:58 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
That's progress so far - will take some pics of the rails as I get them off. Any tips from anyone that's done it before? It looks like the wires go through the frame so no idea if there's a connector I'll see when I've undone the torx screws, or will I have to cut and rejoin the wiring?

Adrian
There's a connector above the rear view mirror IIRC. You'll need to remove trim above the doors (remove front and back grab handles first) to feed the wires through. You can feed the wiring down the trim at the side of the windscreen, unless you insist on going the same route as the original which is then along the top of the o/s front door, down the B pillar, back towards the driver's footwell......
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 29th October 2012, 09:21 AM

Manufacturing info from solar panel

Offside wiring - just cable-tied to sunroof mechanism with some anti vibration foam round it

Nearside wiring

Sunroof motor removed off donor assembly - think the wiring plug should sit in the plastic clip that the wiring is sitting in in the picture

Frame part number details

Wiring ready for removal

Contact point removed from end of sunroof rail - there's is nothing to disconnect the wiring at this end

Having established there's no other way to remove the wiring, this plug needs to come apart. Remove the purple cap with a screwdriver and insert a screwdriver up the end of the plug to press the metal tab on the wire down and pull out the back

Contact points top and bottom

This is the tab you need to free off to get the wires out of the plug

I didn't take any pics of removing the rails, but basically it's 7x T20 torx on each side and the roof mechanism needs to be more or less right back so the panel mounts are out the way and they can be lifted out.

The screws have evidence of threadlock on them and are barely even finger tight - I had a bit of a play around and it's very easy to over-tighten them and the roof mechanism will then feel tight if you operate it by hand (4mm allen key in motor)

Given the suggested torque for the screws holding the sunroof panel on is 4.5Nm I'd expect the rails don't need to be any tighter than that. If you have it some threadlock probably won't go amiss, particularly on the rails.

I've wrapped the solar panel in bubble wrap for now and won't be fitting it until I have some help available to lift it into place. In the meantime I'm hoping to grab an anti-dazzle mirror as wiring that in properly will involve removing all the same bits of trim as getting the sunroof wiring into place!

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC