A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 19th May 2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
My driver's side cat just started rattling yesterday after I caught it on a rock in the road

Luckily I can pinch one off the FE for the meet but I think when I get time I'll probably gut both of them and weld a straight piece of pipe inside the cat housing so it looks stock

Has anyone got a rattly or broken passenger side cat that I can cut up? That one is still fine on mine so no point damaging it if I can avoid it
You might consider selling it / both.
I kept mine for a year, and only just last week started ringing round the cat recyclers to see how much I could get.
Finally settled on this place because it was close by
http://www.fjchurch.co.uk/

They gave me £225 paid into my account, result!

Or at least before you break them up, ask your local cat recycler would they be happy to pay you for just the ceramic bits, since that's what they extract anyway they bin the metal housing from what I saw.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:17 AM

Worth noting that gutted cats on a petrol car should fail an MOT emissions test as you'll be pumping hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide out the back.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 19th May 2017, 01:34 PM

Duly noted

My local recycler won't take just the ceramic for some reason, only the complete unit. Possibly they send them elsewhere to be opened up. They certainly don't pay anything like that much for them so I may do some further investigation
Old 19th May 2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
They gave me £225 paid into my account, result!
That seems pretty decent.

Did they pay out based on what car model you have from a list price or what was actually left inside it the cat?

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 19th May 2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Duly noted

My local recycler won't take just the ceramic for some reason, only the complete unit. Possibly they send them elsewhere to be opened up. They certainly don't pay anything like that much for them so I may do some further investigation
If you don't find a better price ring up the FJ Church people they may do freepost to get the cats off you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY D View Post
That seems pretty decent.

Did they pay out based on what car model you have from a list price or what was actually left inside it the cat?
It looks like they have a catalogue for cat prices, they wanted the part number cast into the cats. Only if they cant find the part number do they do some kind of analysis of the platinum content.
It seems they found both my cats in the system, I stood there when the guy was looking for them and he only took a minute and did not take them anywhere for the test.

One of my cats was broken up badly inside, in fact several pieces had escaped, but they did not reduce the price for this, strange.

This really makes it worth getting decent replacement cats such as HJS, I paid around £650 for the pair, deducting the money recovered from the stock cats I effectively paid around £425 for two very high quality TUV certified cats.

Last edited by Goran; 19th May 2017 at 02:02 PM.