A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 20th April 2017, 08:58 PM

Default Wheel bearings

Turns out I might need some wheels bearings at the front to solve my weird clickety click sound, VAGtech have quoted pretty well, but they also mentioned that there was a recall in place, is this true and if so, how do I go about this?
Old 21st April 2017, 12:12 PM

I found mention of a recall that possibly affected my 8.
I phoned the local stealer and they researched it on my VIN and reported that the recall had been done on mine.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 21st April 2017, 03:08 PM

In addition to what Ray mentioned, you can also check online on the DVSA website:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp?tx=

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 21st April 2017, 04:22 PM

The man from Audi say no, they need to diagnose it themselves to confirm as they will road test it, I said, what a minute, its been serviced twice there in the time I have had it and what happened to the Audi cam? they don't use it on services apparently...

So my next question was how much to replace the front wheel bearings... they said they can't quote until its been in for diagnosis (chargeable) - I said I can diagnose it needs new wheel bearings because an indie told me for free and quoted on it.

Audi don't care, has to be diagnosed... shall I book it in for diagnosis he asks...

Nope, the indie will get my money, thanks for runaround and lack of attention on the service.
Old 21st April 2017, 04:35 PM

Sadly, that mirrors my experience with Audi dealers too. With the exception of a truly magnificent parts guy, it's an experience I wouldn't want to repeat.

I raised the lack of 'Audi-Cam' with them in my complaint email. I wasn't convinced their diagnosis was correct, so asked to see it on camera. They kept telling me what they thought was wrong was something you could feel, rather than see. As it turned out, they were wrong and ended up refunding me the cost of a new steering rack.

2008 Audi S8
Old 21st April 2017, 04:37 PM

You did well to get that one sorted and covered by them, I've usually steered clear of them except for the service purely for the record, but I am thinking of trashing that off now and going to VRS for all services as they are solid guys whoo I trust and I can't see myself letting the car go now.
Old 21st April 2017, 04:43 PM

I had the same thinking, but I was so jarred about the lack of care they took, I decided to say goodbye to the whole 'dealership history' thing - especially as my car has been serviced independently before I bought it.

When it first went in for a service, they called me two hours later to tell me it was ready for collection. I asked them about the faults I'd asked them to look into and they hesitated and told me they couldn't find anything. I pushed a little harder and explained I didn't imagine the washer fluid leak and that every garage it had been to since I owned it had told me about a fluid leak near the back of the engine.

They agreed to take another look and then began the 16-week saga of them chasing their tails trying to find the problem with my car. When I finally got the keys back, I couldn't resist pointing out that they were happy to let the car go with a clean bill of health after a couple of hours (and charge me £800 for the privilege).

Unless it's something that explicitly requires a dealer, no thanks... and with my OCD, that's really saying something.

2008 Audi S8
Old 21st April 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
The man from Audi say no, they need to diagnose it themselves to confirm as they will road test it, I said, what a minute, its been serviced twice there in the time I have had it and what happened to the Audi cam? they don't use it on services apparently...

So my next question was how much to replace the front wheel bearings... they said they can't quote until its been in for diagnosis (chargeable) - I said I can diagnose it needs new wheel bearings because an indie told me for free and quoted on it.

Audi don't care, has to be diagnosed... shall I book it in for diagnosis he asks...

Nope, the indie will get my money, thanks for runaround and lack of attention on the service.

Can I play devils advocate here ......I understand that they missed things earlier on but ....... if you took your car to any repairer and said ...."another garage has said my car needs wheel bearings " and the second garage fitted them and charged you X number of pounds and the fault / complaint was still there would you say " why didn't you diagnose yourselves first before doing the work "

What say you ?
Old 21st April 2017, 10:15 PM

I'd say the same as I did before and that's can I have a quote on it being done.

I'm requesting a service from a provider that I want a price for, it's my choice if I want that service or not based on the answer.

It's like going to a tps to buy a brake disc and them saying, well, we need to see the car and inspect it to see if you actually need a brake disc.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:52 PM

If they quoted on the wheel bearing job and you said go ahead and do the job and it turned out that it was not the wheel bearings after all that the other garage said it was , you would be ok with the wasting of the money fitting something that it didn't need ?