A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 24th May 2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
I was thinking of the accelerator electronic mechanism,
It didn't register with me last night that you meant the TPS, until I saw the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
The pedal only moves (very slightly IIRC) with the PF cruise control, Sean has an FL model where it's all integrated into the engine management, no separate module.
I did replace the TPS in the last year or so due to the erratic throttle response I was having, that Andrew was also experiencing, and since I've had the noise all along, that also rules that out.

But at least this has eliminated something else as the cause.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 24th May 2017, 12:26 PM

If you rev the engine in neutral, with car stopped, does it produce the noise? Just in case it is linked to throttle + speed
Old 29th May 2017, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
If you rev the engine in neutral, with car stopped, does it produce the noise? Just in case it is linked to throttle + speed
Have only been out in the car a couple of times, but did remember to try this both before and after a journey, and it doesn't produce the sound.

I checked every heat shield and they all seem secure enough, and also made sure everything else was secure.

I also have another suggestion worth considering. When I was out on Friday, I had the windows down to get some cool air in, and happened to drive along a stretch of road with a long wall next to it. To my surprise, I heard the odd noise being reflected off the wall (confirmed by easing off the pedal). Later on I was looking through ETKA for something, and came across an image which shows a bearing supporting the rear prop shaft. If this were worn, is it possible that this could be causing the noise?

Only thing is, I don't recall seeing anything like it when I was last under the car.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 29th May 2017, 09:35 AM

Hmm that is a viable culprit, and would normally be load related as the prop does move about a bit between acceleration and overrun. I've no experience of how Quattro behaves when that bearing is worn, but I do have an A4 prop in the workshop with a very loose rattly bearing so its definitely possible for them to fail like that.

IIRC you can't actually see the bearing on the D2 as it's hidden by the heat shields. To get to it you would need to remove the exhaust system and obviously the heat shields and then you can inspect and / or drop the prop. If the bearing is worn enough to be noisy its likely you'll be able to feel some play in it.

Typically Audi, you can't actually buy the bearing separately as the prop is balanced as an assembly and the bearing is non-trivial to change. People have found solutions for the smaller models, but I'm not sure about the D2. Its easier to just change the whole prop for a good used one.
Old 29th May 2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
IIRC you can't actually see the bearing on the D2 as it's hidden by the heat shields. To get to it you would need to remove the exhaust system and obviously the heat shields and then you can inspect and / or drop the prop. If the bearing is worn enough to be noisy its likely you'll be able to feel some play in it.
That would explain why I didn't see it. Doesn't sound like an easy job just checking it, especially without access to a lift, so will have to think about it.