A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 22nd November 2017, 05:13 PM

Default Anyone near Cambridge want to give me a lift?

I'm currently in Cambridge - well cambourne actually - for a steam boiler water treatment course. My work wouldnt pay me to take my 8 so I had to take - gasp - a train. Awful thing, have to keep getting off the damn thing and onto a different one. Sit next to people i don't know, be generally very uncomfortable and worst of all go backwards!

I'm really missing the comfort of my 8, who wants to give me a lift home, its only 470 miles! Failing that Ill accept a lift to the train station
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erubus View Post
I'm currently in Cambridge - well cambourne actually - for a steam boiler water treatment course. My work wouldnt pay me to take my 8 so I had to take - gasp - a train. Awful thing, have to keep getting off the damn thing and onto a different one. Sit next to people i don't know, be generally very uncomfortable and worst of all go backwards!

I'm really missing the comfort of my 8, who wants to give me a lift home, its only 470 miles! Failing that Ill accept a lift to the train station
You get yourself to Portsmouth and i'll give you a lift to Devon, will be leaving around 6PM though you'll still have to sit next to someone you don't know, and I'm a little backwards.

And just to be pedantic should it not be a water boiler water treatment course as you don't boil steam.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
You get yourself to Portsmouth and i'll give you a lift to Devon, will be leaving around 6PM though you'll still have to sit next to someone you don't know, and I'm a little backwards.

And just to be pedantic should it not be a water boiler water treatment course as you don't boil steam.
...and not just with some pedant he doesnt know but not even in an '8.
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
...and not just with some pedant he doesnt know but not even in an '8.
Ok don't rub it in. It will be in another German luxury car manufacturer tho.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 25th November 2017, 02:18 PM

Haha, to answer the pedantry first. In my line of work there are various types of boiler. These are broken down into hot water boilers, steam boilers and steam generators. Then these can be broken down into other sub-types. If we're being really pedantic, the boiler in your house isn't a boiler as it doesn't boil the water..... aaaannnnyyyywwwaaayyy.

The train home was dreadful.....

I was going backwards again! at least it was dark outside so I didnt get dizzy every time it stopped (because the world wasnt going by backwards)

I had to change in York. I got off of a train that terminated in Edinburgh to get onto another train..... that terminated in Edinburgh...only later.

The second train was an hour and a half late which meant that I was going to miss the last train to Perth. Why I couldnt have just stayed on the first (150mph) train to Edinburgh I dont know.

Anyway the second, late train, only did 90mph and got in to Edinburgh an hour and forty minutes late.

Thankfully, Scotrail held the last train to Perth at Waverly for fifteen minutes or so, so I still got in it with a minute to spare.

The train to Perth I think was called Rover. It stopped at every feckin lamp post!

I eventually got out in Perth and got a taxi - prebooked and re-scheduled several times! - back home. £55!

However the journey was slightly improved by the consumption of a 35cl bottle of glenmorangie, a bottle of wine and netflix.

Moral of the story. Trains are crap, use your A8s people!