A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > House and Home DIY

House and Home DIY Everything at home. Building, Renovating, DIY, green initiatives, mowing the lawn. Anything goes

Old 7th August 2018, 11:59 AM

Default Restrictive Covenants

So, longish story...

Someone has bought the house across the road (and renting it out) which has a double garage and small side garden. They've applied for planning permission to demolish the garage and build another detached house in place of it and the garden!

The planning was oddly granted, all the neighbours objected as it's a tiny plot with not enough space and it'll be overlooking the garden of the house behind (only 4.5m away reducing to 2.5m as at an angle), plus the parking spaces don't actually meet the council's standards as they are too narrow!

I then noticed that there is a restrictive covenant which is to benefit the whole estate (as a building scheme) which says that the plot cannot be used "otherwise than as a single private dwelling house". My home legal insurance won't cover to enforce the covenant since nothing has happened yet, if they start building it'll be a nuisance so might then.

I and my neighbours would rather get something done before they start though since it'll be a major inconvenience on a narrow road. Does anyone have any experience in this? I was thinking of writing a letter to warn them it'll be breaking the covenant. Probably don't want to threaten legal action as it'll just get them wound up but feel they ought to know, or know that others know in case they are aware. Not sure where to begin really...
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 7th August 2018, 12:48 PM

It is possible to have a covenant removed - I looked in to it many years ago when I wanted to build a garage. Could they have done that before applying for planning?

It might be worth writing to the council's planning department and enquiring whether the covenant has been removed. If it hasn't, that might prompt some action from them.
Old 7th August 2018, 01:20 PM

I don't think this one has been removed, I have downloaded the title register from Land Registry and it is still showing there, plus it's mutually enforceable between all houses on the estate so we'd all have to agree to it I think.

I expect the owners know about the covenant and are looking to see if it will be enforced, seems odd they'd go to all the trouble if they aren't allowed to build it.

I've not mentioned it to the council, I didn't think they'd be concerned with what isn't really a planning issue? Might be worth mentioning it to them as you suggest.

Old 7th August 2018, 02:15 PM

I don't know how planning works in the rest of the UK, but here in Northern Ireland it goes through the local council. If that were the case, then they would/should have blocked the planning application as it was in breach of two different rules, the covenant of 'a single dwelling' and the parking, and also for the fact that everyone objected to it.

If that is how it works there, then I can only suggest that these people 'know' someone in the council, and that is how the planning application got passed. Personally, I'd try and get the local papers involved to highlight what is going on, as the whole purpose of a planning application (and the associated covenants, council standards and objections) is to ensure that any application meets and adheres to the rules and regulations set in place.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 8th August 2018, 08:50 AM

Yes, It does go through our local council. I've asked them if they consider covenants when deciding on applications, just waiting for their answer.

It's very odd how it got approved, it took ages and it's not just the parking spaces but that it is so close to the boundary to the rear property too, it doesn't even meet the national space standards, although they changed the plans by replacing a double bed with a single to make it look like it does!

It smells like someone knows someone in the council, but it's all a waste for them if the covenant is there. Per haps they're chancing their arm that it'll be ignored. I've tried the press but no reply from them.

Calling my home insurance and they say that if the building work starts then I'll be covered due to the breach. Will be sending a letter to the owner to warn them off though.

Old 8th August 2018, 09:06 AM

I would doubt if a covenant was a planning issue, as noted above covenants can be lifted if due process is followed. Even if, as it would appear in this case, that is extremely difficult.

We have a weird covenant on our property that has at least 3 issues:
1. It's not actually possible to understand what it means as it's so badly worded. Anything or nothing....
2. The parties to it are untraceable and probably long dead.
3. Ordinary work on our house by us and previous owners could, in some interpretations, have already breached it - many times.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 8th August 2018, 12:54 PM

The covenant on my house says that I'm not allowed to build any permanent structures, so that means no brick garage. I spoke to the council's planning dept and they said an application would be rejected because of the covenant so I would have to have that removed first. Interestingly, a concrete sectional garage is not a permanent structure since its bolted together, but I just built a shed instead

Definitely smacks of some insider knowledge or brown envelopes.
Old 8th August 2018, 01:35 PM

There are some odd covenants! Mine even says I'm not allowed to park on the road outside the house or in front of the building line!

The people who bought the house snapped it up before it went on the market properly, even paid about £10k more than market value according to Zoopla. It's owned by a limited company rather than an individual too.

Old 8th August 2018, 03:39 PM

I wouldn't worry too much and just relax. RC's that are on title deeds are common upon ex-local authority housing estates and developer built estates with the latter being another cash cow from the freehold owner to the developer. These RC's can be removed as they are not seen to be in perpetude such as an easement.

Under the NPPF the default decision is to approve development if an application meets policy - even with overwhelming public objections. Of which the objections should be on policy only as the planning officers will disregard non meaningful objections. There's no right to a view, there will always be development of some sort and overlooking concerns can be mitigated. It's highly doubtful any cash or secret handshakes have gone on.

Also, if it's showing a company has bought the title deeds to the land then applying for planning permission is part of the due diligence process when starting development / money making.....! It's sensible to obtain consent first then deal with any remaining land law matters, if any. The RC is only broken once development has begun. However it could be interpreted that after the garden grab technically it still is "otherwise than as a single private dwelling house".

Anyhow, it's highly likely they may sell both plots now and take the quick profit as they may not be into the long haul of construction. It's all business.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 8th August 2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 31st October 2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
I wouldn't worry too much and just relax. RC's that are on title deeds are common upon ex-local authority housing estates and developer built estates with the latter being another cash cow from the freehold owner to the developer. These RC's can be removed as they are not seen to be in perpetude such as an easement.

Under the NPPF the default decision is to approve development if an application meets policy - even with overwhelming public objections. Of which the objections should be on policy only as the planning officers will disregard non meaningful objections. There's no right to a view, there will always be development of some sort and overlooking concerns can be mitigated. It's highly doubtful any cash or secret handshakes have gone on.
Also, if it's showing a company has bought the title deeds to the land then applying for planning permission is part of the due diligence process when starting development / money making.....! It's sensible to obtain consent first then deal with any remaining land law matters, if any. The RC is only broken once development has begun. However it could be interpreted that after the garden grab technically it still is "otherwise than as a single private dwelling house".

Anyhow, it's highly likely they may sell both plots now and take the quick profit as they may not be into the long haul of construction. It's all business.
I agree with that