A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 8th August 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Finding the cause of the obstruction will be the task, unless it's an actual faulty motor.
Given the unpleasant noises I've heard it does sound like a mechanical obstruction somewhere.
Rereading your original post again, and what others have said about how it detects an obstruction, it sounds like the steel cable used in the mechanism has started fraying and wrapping itself around the motor spindle. That will add to the pressure on the motor itself, and hence it thinking there is an obstruction, and backing off.

If you look at the last picture Johannes posted on the thread he linked to, showing the window mechanism, I suspect you'll find quite a bit of the cable around the yellow spindle.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 8th August 2018, 05:14 PM

Thanks Sean, I'll investigate with the door card off sometime soon.

Just had a little "play" and I can eventually get it back up (with graunching noises and hand pressure on the glass) so I'm going to leave it until after Audis In The Park (this Sunday) and take the risk on the day.
Not definitely going anyway as I'm a bit crock at present (another reason to leave it) and the weather forecast was somewhat damp last time I looked!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th August 2018, 02:57 AM

Default Similar situation

Here's my post from when my rear window started developing similar symptoms to the one you described.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10221

Cheers
JWG
Old 11th August 2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
My A6 passenger window does exactly the same. I think the cable is frayed so its happy to go one way but not the other. It usually has to go all the way down before it can be persuaded to go up again.
So the D2 Doctor doesn't do A6's?

I'm postponing doing mine as it's booked in for an MOT this coming week, then I'm too busy for couple of weeks to even investigate.

I might be heading down your way MJ, if the D2 Doctor has availability in September....
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th August 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I've not had a D2 window mechanism fail on me (yet) but it would appear they operate in pretty much the same way as my old Citroen XM windows used to do (essentially a steel wire rope and pulleys) and on the XM they would fail alarmingly frequently. Audi window mechanisms are clearly better designed/built, since they last longer, but ultimately they will no doubt be prone to the same type of failure ... a rusty rope. My guess, I'm afraid to say, would be that it's not an 'obstruction' but a frayed rope. My XM windows often behaved the same way, shortly before the rope snapped or jammed.
Had exactly that in my Infiniti - window wound down happily but getting it back up would be accompanied by all manner of crunching

One strand of the wire rope had snapped and was getting mangled at the first pinch point in the system - in my case one of the lower pulleys.

Given the lack of Infiniti parts in the UK (just about everything is 4 weeks from Japan) I had to strip the mechanism out of the car and remove the mangled wire.
Stripped it back to where I could tape up the frayed wire without running through any gearbox/pulleys and reassembled -worked for months before I got round to swapping over with a new regulator unit.

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 13th August 2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
So the D2 Doctor doesn't do A6's?

I'm postponing doing mine as it's booked in for an MOT this coming week, then I'm too busy for couple of weeks to even investigate.

I might be heading down your way MJ, if the D2 Doctor has availability in September....
I never get time to fix my own stuff

I'm doing triage sessions in September so lmk when you'll be passing and we'll sort something out
Old 5th September 2018, 04:40 PM

Today I decided to finally have a look at this errant door. And I've found the problem.
Despite having had door cards off before it didn't go too well.

Managed to break a lug on the lower part of the door pull when taking it off, despite having done this several times before.
Broke, as expected, almost every fixing clip on the trim panel - boy were they in tight!
Found an unexpected layer of black stuff held by mushroom-style clips, plus evidence (tears in it and duct tape) that someone had been in there before.
No obvious way to disconnect the wiring loom without going to every individual component so left it connected.

Nearly lost the little black thing on the door handle Bowden cable! And stressed the plastic moulding that it clips into as it popped out before I could disconnect it properly.
Finally got to the window motor and its Bowden cable, which all seemed fine as far as I could reach with my big hands.

But in the bottom of the door was this, so I presume a pulley higher up has shattered. I'll be on the phone to A8parts in the morning:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BrokenPulley.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	20063  

Last edited by HPsauce; 5th September 2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 5th September 2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
No obvious way to disconnect the wiring loom without going to every individual component so left it connected.
The way the doors are put together on the D2 is just a clusterfcuk of stupid ideas and this is one of the worst offenders! The A4 and A6 have a nice set of connectors clipped to the door card so they all just come apart and you can take the card off completely.

Quote:
Nearly lost the little black thing on the door handle Bowden cable! And stressed the plastic moulding that it clips into as it popped out before I could disconnect it properly.
Don't lose the little black thing - they are NLA!
Old 5th September 2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Don't lose the little black thing - they are NLA!
It's safe in a sealed plastic bag now.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it's actually easier to replace a whole chunk of frame with the motor etc. attached. Any comments anyone?

All closed up now, but it looked like there was a serious metal plate this was all mounted on that was held to the rest of the door by 4 big bolts.
Old 5th September 2018, 05:01 PM

Yeah it is easier to replace the whole frame complete with mechanism as the cable assembly is riveted to the door frame.