A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Owners Meets

Owners Meets Any info for any meetings, events, track days

Old 30th May 2015, 05:40 PM

This is straight from the DVLA website for driving with an EU license in the UK.
Quote:
You can drive in Great Britain on your full, valid driving licence until you’re 70, or for 3 years after becoming resident in Great Britain, whichever is longer
The above applies as long as your license was originally issued in the EU, if you exchanged say a USA driving license for another EU license then different rules apply.

Quote:
You can drive in Great Britain for only 12 months if you got your EU licence by exchanging your non-EU licence.
FWIW the address on my license is currently my parents address, I visit there every 2-3 weeks and IIRC as long as you are still contactable at the address then it is valid. If this is not the case then I'd better update it.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 30th May 2015, 06:00 PM

This is also straight from the DVLA website:

"If you’re moving abroad, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence."

And this:

"You must get a new licence if:

you change your address
your licence has been defaced
you change your name (you must apply by post using paper form D1 or D2)
you’re getting a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) driver qualification card (DQC)

If none of these apply and your paper licence is still valid, you don’t need to exchange it for a photocard version."

Clearly, if you are moving abroad, your address is changing, ergo you must get a new licence from the relevant country's authorities.
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 30th May 2015, 06:06 PM

If you're living here indefinitely I would still exchange a non-UK licence for a UK licence purely for cheaper car insurance. SWMBO had a foreign licence and, although UK law recognised and allowed her to drive for 12 months on her home licence, UK insurance company's wouldn't insure her or quote a ridiculous premium.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 30th May 2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
If you're living here indefinitely I would still exchange a non-UK licence for a UK licence purely for cheaper car insurance. SWMBO had a foreign licence and, although UK law recognised and allowed her to drive for 12 months on her home licence, UK insurance company's wouldn't insure her or quote a ridiculous premium.
That could have been why we changed SWMBO's licence too Matty, fair point.

It not only made her own insurance cheaper, I remember adding her to my D2 policy halved the price
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 30th May 2015, 07:33 PM

ok , so you can use your existing licence in the uk until you are 70 presuming it is still valid , could be 50 years !no compunction to change
fortunately in france they don't ask about your licence so the cost of insurance isn't affected

under EU law you don't have to contact the authorities in your new country ; as so often the DVLA website is wrong ; your licence from the uk continues to be valid so long as you can be contacted there at the address stated ; how do you think gypsies can have a licence ?

Last edited by oldnick; 30th May 2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 31st May 2015, 01:11 AM

In so many cases the DVLA web site goves guidance which will keep you legal but is not always necessary. To be totally sure you need to read the relevant legislation and understand it.
One area that interests me is the medical notification rules and that is very muddied waters!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 31st May 2015 at 01:13 AM.