A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 20th March 2015, 10:19 AM

Default Cheap Apec front brake pads for D2 PF A/S8 spotted on e-bay

The ones that I currently have on S8 was some no name brand I bought for about £20 years ago and they have hardly worn after 10k miles and still keeping together after heating them up with several consecutive 130-20mph hard braking sessions. Only complain is that they squeal a lot on moderate braking at slow speed. I have had them out couple of times cleaned everything, applied copper grease and reassembled but it only helps for a short while. I guess they are very hard that makes them squeal, also that's the reason they are hardly worn in 10k miles.

Found these very cheap on e-bay and thought I will give them a try. Apec not the most known name but should be better then no name at all and they are used in aftermarket quite a lot as OE. For the price it's worth a try.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-PADS...item20e1dfba93

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 20th March 2015, 12:25 PM

That is a smidge cheaper than the £182.39 for the original ones from a main dealer! I have to say would worry me a little, but to each their own!

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 20th March 2015, 01:22 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

£9 for brake pads? I don't think I'd put them on my car, especially if I was into 130 to 20 mph hard braking!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 20th March 2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
especially if I was into 130 to 20 mph hard braking!
That was just to test the cheap £20 no name pads to see how they cope with heat. To be honest I was pleasantly surprised that heat did not seem to affect them. I have had pads (Ferodo comes to mind) in the past that just start to turn to powder and disintegrate from the edges when overheated or detach from metal backing. Cheap are often not good but more expensive does not always mean better. All pads and discs on our A6 are OEM Audi as they sometimes come up on e-bay cheaply, I think I paid less than £150 for all 4 corners OEM discs and pads. And rear discs and pads on S8 are OEM as well. The problem is I have never seen pads for PF D2 323mm discs come on e-bay cheaply. There have been some in £40-50 range for FL but not for PF. If I could get OEM for that money I would buy them but I cannot justify near £200 for the front set. If I need to choose between £70 for Pagid and £9 for the Apec I will give Apec a go first. Apec is not the cheapest brand, I think these might be just clearance, overstock articles that's why they are so cheap. For example Apec pads for A6 are in £30-40 range while the cheapest ones are under £15. Besides that they come with 2 years 24k mile guaranty, don't think even dealers offer that kind of guarantee for brake pads. Obviously there are terms and conditions to follow like you need to install new Apec discs at the same time and needs to be done by workshop not average Joe himself.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	10363  

8 history:
Old 20th March 2015, 06:35 PM

Good to know there are very cheap alternatives out there.
Funny you mention squealing, what is it with D2's and squealing brakes?
Both D2's I had had squealing front brakes from new, and when time came for replacement disks and pads, all OEM, all begun squealing after only a few thousand miles.
Old 20th March 2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Good to know there are very cheap alternatives out there.
Funny you mention squealing, what is it with D2's and squealing brakes?
Both D2's I had had squealing front brakes from new, and when time came for replacement disks and pads, all OEM, all begun squealing after only a few thousand miles.
Well yours are very different Brembos on FL S8 so there should not be connection in squeaking.

8 history:
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:55 PM

The pads arrived today, definitely looks like old stock, even instruction paper inside has turned yellow like old newspaper, there is 1/2001 on the corner on instructions which might indicate time when it was printed or written. Looks like Apec maybe ordered too much of them but could not sell as much as they would like because of limited vehicle range they fit and now are letting them go cheaply.

Also it says on box manufactured by Remsa in the EEC (http://www.remsa.com/). Looked up company name and it is part of Lucas which in turn is part of TRW group. Also checked reviews online for Remsa pads and they are favorable with most mentioned plus point being low dust which would imply they are hard and therefor more likely to squeal and there was 1 review saying that they squeal a lot but only 1 that I found. Will see how I get on with them.

If they are OK will buy couple of sets for future while they are this cheap.

Also bought this grease instead of copper grease to see if it will help with reducing/eliminating the squealing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3314686643...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

8 history:
Old 23rd March 2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Also bought this grease instead of copper grease to see if it will help with reducing/eliminating the squealing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3314686643...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Copper grease was diagnosed as the source of the squeal on my fronts, after the calipers were refitted following repainting: grease replaced => squealing disappeared
Old 24th March 2015, 10:27 AM

APEC pads are ok actually.

Surprisingly good quality for being cheap pads. Always one of the first to replicate new pads
Old 24th March 2015, 01:02 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Looks like Ainars got a bargain after all.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).