A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 5th April 2020, 09:23 PM

Yes, I'm interested in what kind of different modules/units I can use for this car. Here are a couple:

Pump:

4E0 614 517 CC
4E0 614 517 E
4E0 614 517 L
4E0 614 517 A
4E0 614 517 C

ECU/Module:

4E0 910 517 A

I've a couple of options if I switch out the entire unit. But if only replace the module, I've one option.

Anything else?
Old 18th May 2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classexa View Post
Yeah, replacing the pressure sensor didn't solve the problem. If that wasn't enough, all the brake fluid went seeya from the ABS unit so I had to bleed it all. YAY! It's all pointing to the ABS module. One problem gone, a new one shows up. Guess it's time to try find a new/used module
I'm also going through some ABS issues at the moment and one direction I received from fellow D3 owners which I am starting on this morning, is to unwrap the ABS harness tape and inspect the ABS wiring between the ABS module plug-connector and the wheel arch area - this is apparently a known issue leading to all sorts of strange ABS faults including intermittent issues.

Regarding defective ABS Module the 'safest' reasonably priced option so far for a 'known' ABS module repair is to use one of the ABS rebuild vendors. You remove and post your module to them and they provide an exchange fully warrantied unit. There are several to choose from (Controlunits.co.uk / atpelectronics.co.uk / absrepair.co.uk / sinspeed.co.uk / etc...) and one of the more experienced chaps on here may be able to recommend one.

Note that most DC motors such as ABS pump motors are not designed for continuous operation and if you don't sort out that constant-operating condition (If caused by an external fault) this may damage your new ABS pump.

ps. the parking brake fault is also linked to the ABS system fault, so an ABS fault will also show as parking brake fault. Your VCDS scan has already shown you that. Once you sort our the ABS fault many of your other faults such as parking brake should clear once reset.

hope this helps and wishing you Good luck on sorting out your ABS issue.

Last edited by Prefferle; 18th May 2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 18th May 2020, 01:46 PM

Having currently had an ABS issue, here are my findings.

The parking brake is part of the same system so it will sort itself out once the ABS unit is fixed. I contacted a few of the repairer/remanufacturers and they can repair certain faults. ECUtesting will pick it up FOC and test it. Their test fee is £45 +VAT but will waive the fee if they cannot repair it or if you decide to go ahead with a repair. All companies have stated if it is the processor then they cannot repair it. Mine was a rare part number and so was hard to find a replacement, yours seems more generic and so there should be replacement options.

Definitely check the wiring as advised, it is a known issue. The ABS pump itself does not need to be removed if you need to send it off for repair, just the module is sufficient. There are 6x torx 25 screws. Mine being an S8 the engine bay is crowded and I found removing my air box gave me much better access. I also had removed the inner arch liner to help me get it out. Good luck
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 18th May 2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Having currently had an ABS issue, here are my findings.

The parking brake is part of the same system so it will sort itself out once the ABS unit is fixed. I contacted a few of the repairer/remanufacturers and they can repair certain faults. ECUtesting will pick it up FOC and test it. Their test fee is £45 +VAT but will waive the fee if they cannot repair it or if you decide to go ahead with a repair. All companies have stated if it is the processor then they cannot repair it. Mine was a rare part number and so was hard to find a replacement, yours seems more generic and so there should be replacement options.

Definitely check the wiring as advised, it is a known issue. The ABS pump itself does not need to be removed if you need to send it off for repair, just the module is sufficient. There are 6x torx 25 screws. Mine being an S8 the engine bay is crowded and I found removing my air box gave me much better access. I also had removed the inner arch liner to help me get it out. Good luck
Hi Homer,
Not meaning to highjack your reply but - I’m about to send my ABS module to ECUtesting and I also have an S8. I was wondering what was your ABS Module part number, was it 4E0614517 AB H46. / 4E0910517D 050?
Thanks. Did you ever get your unit repaired?
Old 18th May 2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefferle View Post
Hi Homer,
Not meaning to highjack your reply but - I’m about to send my ABS module to ECUtesting and I also have an S8. I was wondering what was your ABS Module part number, was it 4E0614517 AB H46. / 4E0910517D 050?
Thanks. Did you ever get your unit repaired?
Ah sorry, I didn't read your signature. Mine was 4E0614517 BT which I am concluded is due to the adaptive cruise but not sure. Now here's the strange bit...I tried everything and eventually sent it off to ECUtesting who diagnosed it as faulty and a processor fault. Unrepairable. Other companies gave the same reply when I told them it was the processor. I opted to have the part sent back to me so I could put it on the car so at least I could move it and drive it until I find a replacement. Miraculously, all the faults have disappeared and having driven it to test on 3 occasions, all is still fine (famous last words!)

I will still look out for a replacement just in case. There are a couple on ebay but they are around £700 but include the pump, which I don't need.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 11th December 2020, 03:37 PM

Hi again. Still at it. Starting to give up tbh. Anyone know if I can measure voltage at the brake pressure sensor plug. If there is power coming through?

I've replaced the brake pressure sensor(with used OEM), then I also tested a new Bosch sensor but just plugging the connector in and checking the pressure. Still stuck at 290bar(doesn't matter if I press the brake pedal or not) and the same fault code(01435-electrical fault in circuit). Have replaced the brake light switch. I unwrapped the wiring from the ABS module connector to the wheel well area and everything looks okay. I've checked resistance between the 3 pins at the pressure sensor and the ABS module connector.

I feel like the only thing left to do is replacing the module with a known working one. I've had it repaired by a friend.

It's the only ABS related code left and both the yellow ABS and ESP light comes on when that code appears.

Last edited by classexa; 11th December 2020 at 04:08 PM.