A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 14th June 2014, 05:55 PM

Default DAB, DTV, Reversing Camera retrofit

So, I think I know most of the answers, but if you could share your valuable knowledge in one thread I will appreciate that very much as I'm trying to make my mind by Monday.

Since my Mrs found out about retrofitting a TV in the car, she really wants it, Me, not so much, but I'm trying to get the cost together.

So, since I won a DAB and necessary harness during the raffle (Annual Meet) I may just do the whole lot and make Mrs happier and have reversing camera as well.

If you know the part numbers that's great (don't worry to much, I can always look later on in ETKA, but I'm just very busy this weekend).

If you know the average cost that's great as well, but I will look into it as well.

>>>>
Few questions:
Current set up: analogue radio, no TV

1. Media rack. Are there different types of media racks as I've seen Somerandomguy's one and it's different to mine. Well, mine is hardly a media rack as there is just radio tuner (SEE ATTACHED)
Just can't see enough room to accommodate TV tuner and DAB.

2. TV tuner (digital = hybrid yeah?), part number? Would there be a specific PN for my car or just any as long is from an A8 (4Exxxxxxx)

3. Aerials (TV) can you buy them separately?? PN? I am buying aerial amplifier for DAB anyway, so will buy one for use with TV as well not just DAB. Anything else needed for TV apart aerials and other things mentioned below??

4. Reversing camera. I know that isn't fitted on the media rack, just a bit further behind the trim where the cigarette lighter is, more less.
I've got a price already for the camera with a wire and FAKRA connector, module and bracket. Rest of the bits I can take from Del's guide. From memory I will need new boot trim to accommodate camera along the rear plate lights and boot handle. Few wires and terminal connectors? a Harness which connects one end of the camera to the module (see attached picture of what comes with the camera) and a trim which you clip in to boot lid hinge to run a cable from boot lid to the module

5. MOST controller (updated one or with extra inputs or outputs????). I've read somewhere in one of your threads that MOST module will be required. What is it exactly and where do you fit one?? I assume I have one but not suitable for reversing camera and TV. Part number? Any 4E PN or must be a specific one?? Cost??
Is the MOST which needs to have extra video outputs?? Control head rings the bell, is MOST controller a control head??

Anything else I'm not aware of???

Guys, your time and knowledge is already very much appreciated
Sorry for so many questions, but it's a big job so a lot of questions before making a start and it would be nice to have the whole lot under one thread.

THANK YOU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	media.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	8438   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	8439  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten

Last edited by M-A8; 14th June 2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 14th June 2014, 08:14 PM

You will need MMI head unit with FBAS video input or add video input to yours, as your's didn't have tv or camera before.
The MOST controller is another unit that will need to be replaced to support RVC. 4E0907468H is the newest revision.
hybrid-tuner pn - 4E0910148C
antenna amp with dab and tv - 4E0035225AL

I'm doing all these myself soon, have got most of the parts already.
Old 14th June 2014, 08:20 PM

You're probably looking at 1K£ even for second units/wiring parts alone.
Old 14th June 2014, 11:39 PM

Whats different about the MOST controller? When I fitted RVC I just fitted the RVC module and coded in.

Do you mean the Gateway module behind the glove box.

If you are looking for a Gateway module Marcin you should try to find one that supports Adaptive cruise too because they support everything.

You can then buy my instrument cluster and fit the adaptive cruise at the same time

There is indeed different media racks but trying to determine whats what is going to be difficult.

If you contacted A8 parts I'm sure they would have loads as I cant see them being a high turn over item.

Nearly forgot, if you need the trim that clips to the left side bootlid hinge that secures the cable trunking I have a brand new one, as I ordered one and realised that one was already on the car.

Like was already mentioned you will need to upgrade your display controller or replace but that will need CP removal.

Last edited by Delboy; 14th June 2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 15th June 2014, 07:18 AM

Wow, that will be a big job.

As jz has said, you will need a new control head with the green FBAS connector, 4e0907729a (thats what mine is) which will give you a line in for the TV/RVC. It is reported that replacing this will give you component protection. According to ETKA this has been superseded, the alternatives are many (4e0910729a,d,h, 730, etc)

You'll need to run a fakra ended co-ax cable from the media rack to the control head to pass the picture signal (from both the TV and RVC).

Depending on the version of your CAN gateway, you may need to replace this too with one that knows about TV and RVC modules so they can be coded in. I got a 4L0907468B from A8 parts at a very reasonable price, or the one that jz posted if getting new. To work out which exact version you need, you have to look at the PR numbers in ETKA and match them to what you have or want to install.

The hybrid TV module is the one to get as it is both digital and analogue, if i remember correctly, the digital only one is an add on to the analogue module with a separate remote control like a set top box. you'll need a power and optical loom for the TV to link it into the MOST. BTW, the TV has 4 antennas. If you are going OEM then youll most likely need the amplifier on the back window as per jzs part number, plus yet more fakra ended co-ax cables.

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain

Last edited by Somerandomguy; 15th June 2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 15th June 2014, 07:50 AM

These people are alleged to be able to fit the required FBAS components to your own control head and therefore avoid CP
http://naviservice.com.pl/en_GB/i/Mounting-services/26

I also forgot to add, I believe that you also need to have the graphical parking sensor module 4e0910283c

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 15th June 2014, 10:45 AM

The parts and procedure for adding FBAS is here - http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/add-f...0-035-729.html
It's a bit outside my skill set.
Old 15th June 2014, 12:06 PM

Cheers guys, very very much appreciated

I'm slowly getting there and this is my understanding and cost to me so far exc wiring and aerials and coax cables.

Hybrid DTV Tuner - 4e0 910 148 D / 4e0 919 148
£310 / Is D instead of C OK??
I can get C for
£145

Reversing camera - Module 4e0 910 441 / camera 4l0 980 551 + bracket
£190

Aerial amplifier - 4e0 035 225 AL
£60

MMI FBAS - 4e0 035 729 A
£220
I could also get that for £120, 4e0 035 729 but the letter is unknown, but it has video output, see attached picture, donor A6

CAN Gateway - 4e0 907 468 B (no ACC, just RVC)
£40 / Is that the MOST controller which needs to be upgraded???????

DAB, already have one, cost FREE

>>> !!!! TV aerials, I can't find any in ETKA, can you get them separately, how much this can cost??

Non of these modules comes with a harness.
This could affect total cost, big time. Any idea what harness will I need for each module and how much would that be??

Cost of coax cables with FAKRA connectors, how many and what length??

Del, how much was the harness from the actual camera to the module??

£655 so far, possibly £555

Have I missed anything??

Looks like I've got the graphical parking sensor module, see below

Current PNs
Address 07: Control Head Labels: 4E0-910-7xx-07.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 769 P HW: 4E0 035 729

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 4E0-910-468.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 468 B HW: 4E0 907 468 E

Address 1E: Media Player 2 Labels: 4E0-910-111.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 111 F HW: 4E0 035 111 A

Address 56: Radio Labels: 4E0-910-541.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 541 T HW: 4E0 035 541 L

Address 76: Park Assist Labels: 4E0-910-283.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 283 C HW: 4E0 919 283 C
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4262694486.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	8446  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.

Last edited by M-A8; 15th June 2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 15th June 2014, 12:34 PM

Can gateway needs to be 4LO 907 468 B or newer from q7 or 4EO 907 468 G or newer from a8.
As far as i know tv antenna is in the rear screen all you need is the dab/tv amplifier and wiring to the tv module.
That mmi head module should do, but you will need cp removed and coding + firmware upgrade.
All the wiring can be found at kufatec.

Last edited by jza8; 15th June 2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 15th June 2014, 01:06 PM

Found the Gateway, same money or even slightly less

There is no aerials in the rear screen, they are separate and apparently there is 4 of them for digital tuner, I've seen sets with two only

I've got 5570 Firmware so thats sorted.

CP I will just have to pay.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10