A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 22nd December 2011, 01:59 PM

Default Kickdown issue and a few other questions

I'm new to A8's (and indeed Audi) - I bought a 1999 4.2V8 back in November and I have a few questions.

Kickdown is very slow to work. My other car is a diesel Saab automatic, and that kicks down far quicker than the A8. I'd say it's a good second, maybe 2 seconds before it finds the right gear in mid range.

Acceleration and gear changes from standstill are fine, but with the kickdown behaving as it is, I have to plan overtakes and floor it before I actually go.. If I use the manual selector, it's fine, though I hardly use that (not used to it).

What is this problem likely to be? I'm hoping this is not symptomatic of a borked gearbox. Car is at 101,000 miles, and the gearbox oil was changed around 60,000 miles.

Second question is regarding the temperature. Where should it sit once it's warmed up, and how long should it take to get there? At the moment my diesel Saab gets to normal temp a fair bit quicker. Temp seems to not get as far as 90.

Here it is (pic from sellers advert):

Old 22nd December 2011, 02:25 PM

That looks like a Facelift given the chrome strips and wheel design; there is a ridiculously simple "fix" to non-kickdown issues in the forums.
Someone will link it soon (me if I can remember where it is, I have a PF so it's not an issue).

Here it is: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50

Quote "This is the quickest, and cheapest fix ever"

Last edited by HPsauce; 22nd December 2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 22nd December 2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
That looks like a Facelift given the chrome strips and wheel design; there is a ridiculously simple "fix" to non-kickdown issues in the forums.
Someone will link it soon (me if I can remember where it is, I have a PF so it's not an issue).

Here it is: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50

Quote "This is the quickest, and cheapest fix ever"
Thanks for that I'll have a fumble around in the footwell and have a play.
Old 22nd December 2011, 02:39 PM

Forgot to say - believe it is a 310BHP facelift jobbie. S8 alloys I was told by the seller.

Old 22nd December 2011, 03:00 PM

temperature issue is probably the temp sender unit, mine did similar last year and had it replaced, and is now fine, five minute job and under £50 from my local AUDI Indie, (needed to wait till it cooled down enough to let the mechanic change it without cooking his fingers)

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 22nd December 2011, 03:25 PM

Either that or it's a thermostat

The kickdown could be due to the gearbox being ready for a fluid and filter change seeing as it was 40k ago.

The other fix is for it not kicking down at all in tip mode which isn't the problem here.

I know.. I know..

Old 22nd December 2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
temperature issue is probably the temp sender unit, mine did similar last year and had it replaced, and is now fine, five minute job and under £50 from my local AUDI Indie, (needed to wait till it cooled down enough to let the mechanic change it without cooking his fingers)
Hope it's something nice and cheap like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Either that or it's a thermostat

The kickdown could be due to the gearbox being ready for a fluid and filter change seeing as it was 40k ago.

The other fix is for it not kicking down at all in tip mode which isn't the problem here.
Is the thermostat a lot to change then??

I'll be putting the car in for a service in the New Year - I'm thinking of getting the gearbox oil changed whilst it's in. Think the local VW/Audi independent said it was £200 ish for the gearbox oil change.

How much should I budget for a "major" service on my A8 at an independent? Last owner did oil changes himself, so I suspect a lot of bits will have been missed (hence assuming the major service).
Old 22nd December 2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton View Post
S8 alloys I was told by the seller.
Indeed; they're the "new-style wide-finger" Avus design.
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton View Post
I'll be putting the car in for a service in the New Year - I'm thinking of getting the gearbox oil changed whilst it's in. Think the local VW/Audi independent said it was £200 ish for the gearbox oil change.
Be very very careful, my advice is if it ain't broke don't fix it, I am one of those who ended up with a broken gearbox within 2 days of a box fluid change, as it seems to dislodge gunge that is actually holding stuff together.

And most 'independents' don't do the job properly either, as they do not properly flush the old fluid out. I tried re-doing mine myself in the desperate hope of fixing the broken box, took 20 litres to fully flush the old crud out, so don't be tempted by the cheap fix, I think they charge you for about 8-9 litres.

By the way, I do have about 7 litres of gearbox fluid left over, I'll be bringing it to the Xmas meet at Bishops Tachbrook, first dibs gets it FOC
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
By the way, I do have about 7 litres of gearbox fluid left over, I'll be bringing it to the Xmas meet at Bishops Tachbrook, first dibs gets it FOC
I'll take it

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure