A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 23rd December 2011, 10:06 PM

Cambelt is a 'big job'.. One of the most expensive service items in terms of labour, and hence you're best getting the pump, thermostat, tensioners, etc done when you're in there.

The fluid warning could just be a gummed up sensor, can't remember where it is offhand (in the pump?) and may be due to low-quality screenwash.

Bulb warning, replace and see what happens.

The brakes, could just be the sensor being iffy, disconnect it and see what happens, my PF did it for a bit until I lengthened the wires.

I know.. I know..

Old 24th December 2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
as it seems to dislodge gunge that is actually holding stuff together
There seems to be a little misunderstanding there. The sludge is there but it is not holding anything together. Imagine that -sludge holding together something that has to handle 300-360BHP.

New oil have cleaning and other additives that hold sludge and wear particles in the oil. As the oil ages it looses its properties and sludge settles out in corners and crevices where the oil flow is slow. When you put fresh oil in it's cleaning additives start dissolving that sludge and lifting it up in the oil. The problem arises if some of that sludge instead of slowly dissolving in oil detaches it self from metal parts in lumps as the fresh oil seeps between sludge and metal. These lumps then can block oil passages, small wire mesh filters or get jammed in solenoid valves or between disks.

We were experiencing similar problems in Latvia in the 90's with car engines. Old Soviet cars that have been running on primitive USSR motor oil had a lot of sludge build-up in the engines. I have taken couple of those engines apart in my teenage days and couple of mm rubbery/jelly build-up on the most of engines inner surfaces were quite normal, 5+ mm in tractor and diesel truck engines. When the modern western oils become available in the start of 90's a lot of people killed their engines using modern oils as they lifted up sludge in lumps and blocked oil passages in block, head or crankshaft stopping oil delivery and seizing up bearings.

If I get that oil from sarg I am thinking of draining just a couple of litres of oil and replacing it with fresh oil so that it hopefully washes it slowly and does not lift up any lumps. Then another couple of litres later and then possibly a full change with filter some time in the future. Still not quite sure if I will be doing it. If the gearbox fails it will be a good excuse to do a manual conversion.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 26th December 2011, 07:51 AM
Banned

im so surprised that you have an almost identical interior to me, and i have not seen any one with those seats for quite some time i think they are comfort seats, less bucket like and slightly softer, but its the piping style of the seat that makes it interesting i dont know of anyone that has the same not on the forum any way

Also my kick down was not even switched on when i had the car and after reading about it i went out side clicked it on and it was fantastic
Old 26th December 2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
If I get that oil from sarg I am thinking of draining just a couple of litres of oil and replacing it with fresh oil so that it hopefully washes it slowly and does not lift up any lumps. Then another couple of litres later and then possibly a full change with filter some time in the future. Still not quite sure if I will be doing it. If the gearbox fails it will be a good excuse to do a manual conversion.
I've had a bit of an oopsie, just checked that oil container, there are not 7 litres, sorry, only 1-2 litres, but I will still bring it along, you are welcome to take it
Old 27th December 2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
im so surprised that you have an almost identical interior to me, and i have not seen any one with those seats for quite some time i think they are comfort seats, less bucket like and slightly softer, but its the piping style of the seat that makes it interesting i dont know of anyone that has the same not on the forum any way
When I first got the A8, I just assumed that most interiors were like mine, but I haven't seen any others like mine until yours. Does seem to wear well too.
Old 29th December 2011, 06:38 PM
Banned

yes they do wear well, and nope i think your the first on the forum that i know of with the same interior as mine
Old 30th December 2011, 12:32 PM

Hard wearing and comfortable. Awaiting treatment to clean and soften
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2945.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	2625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2305.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	2626