A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 6th February 2014, 08:10 AM

The iPhone (much like many laptop options) needs a swipe, where the A8 one is a full finger pad read, but is really easily affected by angle, and pressure used.

I know.. I know..

Old 6th February 2014, 08:57 AM

My wife always gets in and starts the car in the morning and does the preflight checks such as heated seats and windows and entering destination.
I would hate the seats and everything to move to her position. The memory positions are stored with the Key ID at the moment would this be totally redundant if Fingerprint ID is fitted?
Old 6th February 2014, 02:08 PM

It would, yes... Assuming the thing works every time.. Car will always start if it can find the key as the fingerprint is user ID only, not security.

I know.. I know..

Old 6th February 2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
It would, yes... Assuming the thing works every time.. Car will always start if it can find the key as the fingerprint is user ID only, not security.
...so where all this info would be stored if key is redundant after fitting fingerprint switch???

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 6th February 2014, 02:52 PM

The key ID is not redundant with fingerprint sensor... the seat position etc. will be still adjusted based on the key ID. For the same reason I find the fingerprint sensor a bit pointless though
Old 6th February 2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audifin View Post
The key ID is not redundant with fingerprint sensor... the seat position etc. will be still adjusted based on the key ID. For the same reason I find the fingerprint sensor a bit pointless though
...so if you have a fingerprint start button, can you start the car with the key without scanning your finger??
Cheers

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 6th February 2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
...so if you have a fingerprint start button, can you start the car with the key without scanning your finger??
Cheers
Absolutely..
Old 6th February 2014, 03:28 PM

So whats the point to have it if data is kept on the key and fingerprint isn't required to start the car??
So stupid...

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 6th February 2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
So whats the point to have it if data is kept on the key and fingerprint isn't required to start the car??
So stupid...
Well exactly... I wouldn't bother with the retrofit. The fingerprint ID does "override" the key ID with memory setting etc. so if you have more than 2 regular drivers it could be useful. In my case there are only 2 drivers, my other half has her key and I have mine.
Old 6th February 2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audifin View Post
Well exactly... I wouldn't bother with the retrofit. The fingerprint ID does "override" the key ID with memory setting etc. so if you have more than 2 regular drivers it could be useful. In my case there are only 2 drivers, my other half has her key and I have mine.
This is why my Mrs has her own car

I would rather be abused by Gorillas somewhere in the Vietnam jungle then give my 8 to Mrs...

Thanks for all the info guys

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10