A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 7th June 2011, 07:37 PM

Default Four Wheel Alignment.... Done

Took the car into the local Audi Centre today for the four wheel alignment.
So £99 later they give it me back with a nice colour print out and say it wasn't that far out really although it's all set correctly now and they filled up the washer bottle FOC
Does make me wonder though as the old fronts were showing the canvass on the inside edge when I took them off right over on the very edge. Which is why I missed it until I took the wheel off to sort the Compressor out.
Here's hoping I do better on these new tyres
Sadly I have fallen in love with a nice R8 though and had to be removed from the premises
Cheer
Glyn
Old 8th June 2011, 07:53 AM

Strange we were talking about this issue at the meet. I suffer from the same thing on my D2. Alignment is never very far out (the 3 times i've had it done) well not far enough for the tyres wear on the inside edge like they do. Strange
Old 8th June 2011, 01:52 PM

If top suspension arm bushes are worn/deteriorated or too soft rubber on aftermarket arms this would cause tyre inside to wear out but that should aslo show as out of alignment. Another issue could be wrong offset if not original wheels or spacers are used.
Old 9th June 2011, 08:44 AM

Just for info they checked mine over as well and nothing was worn or needed changing, I am sure they would have loved to have found something
I will just have to see how we go from here but the inside edge was wrecked and the rest of the tyre still had say 3-4 mm
Not good when you look at the price of a Dunlop now!
I had a similar issue with my E55 but a good tyre bay I know set it up well with their laser alignment gear, with someone sat in it and with the suspension set how I always drive it, and never had the problem again after two goes by Merc which incidentally they charged £200 a go for.
Thought I would give Audi a try as it's the first 4wheel drive "car" I have owned.
Just to add insult to injury started her up yesterday and the service indicator has decided it's time for another visit
So do I stay Audi or head indy, up till now all FASH
Will get some prices. After all they did cover my tyres in a very shiny stuff and fill up the washer bottle
Old 9th June 2011, 12:28 PM

I think a lot of it is the nature of the beast, mine likes to eat the inside edge of the front tyres, as did my A4 2.8 quattro. A heavy engine, a long way forward, and 4wd is probably the problem. That said, you should still get decent mileage out of them.
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 9th June 2011, 01:46 PM

We have body shop here that repairs accident damaged cars they do have a jig for chassis straightening and everything including a proper 4 wheel alignment. And the best thing is they charge only £28 +VAT for an hour. They don't do fixed cost as many jobs they do are hard to predict time required. If the alignment is fine or just need a quick minor adjustment all You pay is 1 hours labor. My friend had a car going sideways ( I think it is called crabbing) and rear tyres were gone on inside, one more then the other. Took them 2.25 hrs and cost £75 quid to do. It is too early to tell about tyre wear but car is driving straight now.

Tyres on mine wear evenly. At start both sides wore more then middle, I think because of to low pressure, I have upped the pressure from 36F/32R to 42F/38R since and now seem to wear fine. Tyres have done 3 years/11000 miles and car had all front suspension arms replaced 2 years ago. Tyres still have 5-6mm tread left.