A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 21st June 2011, 09:31 PM

Default D3 Rear Pad replacement

Guys,

Probably just being thick here..

But when replacing the D3 pads and putting the new thickness into VCDS, what thickness to I use, the width of 1 pad, or both together?

I know.. I know..

Old 22nd June 2011, 09:23 PM

If you cycle the handbrake (as you should do) you shouldn't need to enter a value. But the thickness is of 1 pad.

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:45 PM

Ty Bex.. Thought it was.

I know.. I know..

Old 23rd June 2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Ty Bex.. Thought it was.
No problemo dear

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 30th January 2012, 09:21 PM

Sorry to drag up an old thread but better this than starting a new one on the same subject.

When putting in the pad thickness am I correct in thinking it is the thickness of the Ferodo material that is entered and not the material and the metal backing
Old 30th January 2012, 09:25 PM

It is Though other brake pads are available

I know.. I know..

Old 30th January 2012, 09:33 PM

Thanks, thought I should double check
Old 31st January 2012, 08:01 AM

I would be interested in your measurement, mine were 12mm, genuine Audi pads, which seemed a bit low for new ones.
The range you can enter is 10-23mm.
I think these measurements are needed for calculating when the wear sensor comes on.

Last edited by snapdragon; 31st January 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 31st January 2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I think these measurements are needed for calculating when the wear sensor comes on.
It uses the measurement and the known travel for each rotation of the stepper motor in the caliper. Every few hundred miles once you stop, exit and lock the car, provided you've left the handbrake off (level surface and in Park) the caliper will cycle the pad in a nd out to check the remaining pad material.

Excerpt taken from an Audi SSP (translated from German so doesn't read too well) :

"Brake pad wear detection and correction clearance
The pad thickness is cycled (every 500 km) when the vehicle is stationary and parking brake is not actuated. It is designed to automatically cycle the brake pad from the zero position (= position in final position) against the brake disc down. The control unit determines from the Hall sensor the measured value from running the brake lining and it can calculate the pad thickness. The measurement takes place when the vehicle is parked, Ignition switch and parking brake is not closed. If a driver uses the parking brake regularly, the wear measurement may be less accurate than for rarely used Parking brake."

So if you're leaving your car on a level surface leave the handbrake off occasionally.
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles
Old 31st January 2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I would be interested in your measurement....
Hoping to do mine tomorrow if all goes to plan and will let you know the measurement.

Thanks for the info Gooders, interesting read