A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 16th January 2021, 01:57 PM

As mentioned above, I got an replacement air bag and the funny thing is that it was leaking too.

I know there is "a million" treads about leaks in the suspension online, and it probably has been covered before, but as I haven't had any trouble earlier I haven't payed much attention to them.

This leak was very much identical with the one I had initially. That made me think that it's probably not the air bag itself that is leaking. After closer inspection of the old air bag, confirmed that the rubber air bag didn't reach as high as the fitting of the air valve. Out of curiosity, I removed the air valve on my old one and cleaned it and the housing of corrosion and put it back on the car. Unfortunately it was still leaking a little bit, so I then took off the air valve from the new one and put on the old one, and now there is no leak! I can imaging that the corrosion between the aluminium housing and the valve may have bent the valve out of shape, combined with old o-ring, have caused the leak in the first place.

The conclusion of my limited inspection is the if there is a leak around the air valve, the leak is probably not the air bag, but between the aluminium housing and the valve (like photo above).

If it leaks at the bottom of the chock absorber (arrow at photo below), it is the lower o-ring that is leaking and if it leaks at the very top, it is the top o-ring. If it's on the other hand coming form underneath the dust boot, it is most likely the air bag itself. I also reckon that if it is the rubber air bag that is leaking, the compressor won't have enough power to raise the car suspension to normal position.

(Photo borrowed from user Dville over at Audiworld forum)

Anyways, I've ordered a new valve, including the residual pressure valve, to put back on my new air bag, to have it complete and available when the next leak appear...
S8 anti-roll bars front and rear
Complete rear LED taillight
Xenon fog lights
All interior LED
S8 rims 9x20"
Stage II tune
S8 Grill
Old 20th February 2021, 08:16 AM

Hiya,

I’ve got the same leak from around the valve on my A8.
How do you remove the valve housing? On the replacement parts it looks obvious that it screws in but on the original valve on the car there doesn’t look like an obvious way to unscrew the body of it from the strut housing. Thanks!
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:38 AM

I used one of this and made a groove to use a flat screw driver.

S8 anti-roll bars front and rear
Complete rear LED taillight
Xenon fog lights
All interior LED
S8 rims 9x20"
Stage II tune
S8 Grill