A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 8th May 2014, 06:21 AM

Default Suspension problem?

Not sure if this a problem or not.

Essentially, I had not driven or even gone near my D3 since Monday morning.

72 hours later, and I return to my car to find that the whole car (all four corners) was lower than when I left. It was not on the decks, but was maybe 2-3 inches lower in all four corners.

I started the car as I needed to go for a short drive to put some charge back in the battery due to a parasitic current drain and no sooner than the engine was running the rear of the car raised, followed by the front. No faults on the dash, nothing out of the ordinary as far as warning lights go.

The car is parked on uneven ground, sideways on a downhill. I wonder if what I saw was simply signs of the car trying to level itself or something more sinister going on.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 8th May 2014, 06:39 AM

Monday was the last time I touched mine as well and it appears to be an inch or two lower. The rear wheel is right in the arch and it seems a even amount on all four corners.
Also parked on uneven ground.

I'm not 100% sure but it seems like it would be normal.
My Dad's touareg also drops a bit when not used for several days in a row.

Then thinking on it, the system should 100% sealed and no air should escape ever. so maybe its not?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 8th May 2014, 08:15 AM

Mine drops down every time I lock it, can't see a reason for it ???

The raising at the back first then the front is how it's mentioned to work as the back up first while raising prevents headlight dazzle, you will find the opposite when lowering for the same reason.

Old 8th May 2014, 08:28 AM

That's pretty normal.. You should have the 'suspension low' light come on for a little bit too.

I know.. I know..

Old 9th May 2014, 10:28 PM

Mine does this... Just settled a little over time. Absolutely right, the low level green light stays on around 5-10 seconds and things rise as normal.
Old 10th May 2014, 07:22 AM

Can't say my suspension low warning light comes on, and if its on for that length of time it might be useful to run the accumulator test in vcds to see how the compressor is performing.

You would want to catch it before it burns out if its running low

Old 12th May 2014, 06:42 AM

I opened the boot the on the weekend to put some stuff in and the car started to lift it self up and level out.

I'm going with all is good and its normal

I need to do that accumulator test soon I think.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:19 PM

I sat on my open boot the other day and it lifted me up. Nearly **** meself!!!