A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 30th April 2014, 10:02 PM

Default Brakes -the next generation!

So I went to the garage and this happened

My old brake discs like fell off, and then these shiny new Zimmermann drilled ones like flew on....

After their maiden voyage with new pads

In all honesty ive been having a major brake squeal issue, which prompted me to get new discs and pads on the front. It was a weird one, the squeak is when driving without the brakes applied, and only happen after driving for a while, and the more I drive the louder it got. Alters pitch / consistency with steering angle too.

When doing the discs, euro car parts ****ed up and gave me the wrong pads (turns out Passat pads don't fit an A8 funnily enough!!) so I had to whack the old pads on for a few days till the new ones came in (no stock carried.) The squeaking then got worse, a lot worse. Pads arrived today so I took it to the garage asap. Old pads came off and they were MELTED!! I was like "LOL" The ramp I filed on them the other day was completely FLAT! So we did a full investigation and stripped both calipers and greased everything up that should move etc then put the new pads in. Was told to go easy on them - although I don't think I do go hard on them to be fair, but then again they are so well built you can sometimes forget your still doing 70 at the 100 yard mark LOL!

Anyway the issue seems to have fecked off, done around 50 miles and no more squeaking, got knows what pads were on the car, but they had no make on the back which is always a bad sign!

Chris
Old 1st May 2014, 07:59 AM
Banned

Mmm shiny lol

How much did they set you back and where did you get them from ?
Old 1st May 2014, 07:18 PM

Marcin got me then from a supplier in Germany. Farrr cheaper than anything over here with dhl international postage included! Pads are ATE from ECP
Old 2nd May 2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Marcin got me then from a supplier in Germany. Farrr cheaper than anything over here with dhl international postage included! Pads are ATE from ECP
Glad you happy with them
They look almost as good as mine
It's good to see them on finally, they make such a difference, and they perform really really well plus the quality is great, and they are Zimmermann's not some no name or budget ones just drilled to make it look good.

Let me know when you are ready for your rears

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 3rd May 2014, 07:36 AM

Im well happy with them just bedding them in at the moment but christ they are sharp!