A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 11th November 2015, 06:45 AM

Default Terra clean good practice?

http://www.terraclean-direct-2u.co.uk

Will this procedure nicely remove all carbon deposits?
Thinking to book my s8. Thinking about swirl flaps clean as a preventive maintenance
Its only around 100£ a tech comes to my door step
Old 11th November 2015, 07:36 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I've often wondered about this and read many mixed reviews.

On the one hand, it sounds great and, particularly on the 'swirl flaps' it might be a good treatment.

But, on an older, higher mileage engine, I wonder if some of the carbon is compensating for wear and tear.

I might have imagined it, but when I had an oil flush done before the oil change on a recent service, the start-up 'death rattle' seemed a bit worse than before.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 11th November 2015, 07:40 AM

I asked about the benefits of having this done when I was in the process of having my S8 manifold refitted after it broke. I was told it has little impact due to the fuel being directly injected into the combustion chamber, therefore the inlet manifold doesn't get cleaned as it only controls the air flow, via the flaps and motors. The garage cleaned the inlets while the manifold was being repaired, and the manifold was also cleaned thoroughly while being repaired.

Any preventative maintenance should be considered but if you're looking to ensure your S8 doesn't encounter the same issues as mine and many others I'd spend your money on having it removed and cleaned and inspected. This would give you time to clean the carbon deposits on the inlets yourself. Just speaking from my own experience, others may have entirely different opinions

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 11th November 2015, 07:41 AM

Pretty sure it won't clean your swirl flaps, not unless they are in the exhaust side, not familiar with the s8 engine, but terra clean is a petrol additive and as such won't touch anything the petrol doesn't, and as your engine is direct injection, all it will clean is the combustion chamber and maybe parts of the exhaust
Old 11th November 2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles View Post
Pretty sure it won't clean your swirl flaps, not unless they are in the exhaust side, not familiar with the s8 engine, but terra clean is a petrol additive and as such won't touch anything the petrol doesn't, and as your engine is direct injection, all it will clean is the combustion chamber and maybe parts of the exhaust
Pretty much summed up what I said but in a much better style, cheers

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 11th November 2015, 07:44 AM

Here you go for you V10 owners

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-hap...oogle.co.uk%2F

Looks like preventative maintenance is making sure your breather system is working properly and giving it a good blast every now and again
Old 11th November 2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
Pretty much summed up what I said but in a much better style, cheers
I didn't see your reply until after I posted

But yea we're on the same wavelength, terra clean can probably be good in some instances on certain engines but the v10 isn't one of them, even so you'd probably have the same results from using a big can of sea foam in the engine
Old 11th November 2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Here you go for you V10 owners

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-hap...oogle.co.uk%2F

Looks like preventative maintenance is making sure your breather system is working properly and giving it a good blast every now and again

Had mine MOT'd a couple of weeks ago and the guy who looks after it for me said "You really need to drive this more, and harder!" as the pre-cat lambda sensors were fouled due to never really getting up to temperature, so I was told. He'd checked the set up and the engine was running at the correct mixture so he had to remove them, de-coke them, take it for a blast, and the emissions returned to what would be expected. At least that's how I understood what had gone on when it failed the MOT at first

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 11th November 2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I didn't see your reply until after I posted

But yea we're on the same wavelength, terra clean can probably be good in some instances on certain engines but the v10 isn't one of them, even so you'd probably have the same results from using a big can of sea foam in the engine
No problem at all, like I said, you summed it up well, your response was spot on

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 11th November 2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
never really getting up to temperature
They do have electrical heating element in them so should be getting up to temp anyway.

Like others say terraclean will not do anything to intake on FSI engine as it will be injected directly in the cylinder. There are other cleaning methods that electrically split water into oxygen and hydrogen and feed in in the intake but I don't know how effective they are. Best effect probably achieved by mechanical cleaning.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure