A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 29th October 2014, 01:44 PM

Default A8 4E Adaptive Headlights

Does anyone know where I can purchase brand new headlights for A8 4E it has Adaptive Headlight with Led running lights but dipped and main beam performance are poor, I just want very bright lights which do not have to be adaptive or have led's I find that purchasing 2nd hand lights would be no use as my lights look in better condition than the one's I see for sale
Any help would be appreciated, is it even possible I could do work on the existing lights, replacing the led section with main beam spots ?
Cheers
Old 29th October 2014, 02:42 PM

Hi
You can't take the inside lenses out of the unit without splitting the headlight, crap job, but doable, done it once with a mate on 06 A6.
It is possible to clean the lens from the inside but that is bumper off job to get the headlights out.
very tricky tho as not much room in there, and I mean very little.
Ideally you could post some photos for better advice, some from distance with lights on and without, some close up ones with lights off so we can make a better judgment before giving best advice.
I'm scared to even thing how much are new lights from the dealer, but I will have to look through all my links to find the supplier I found some time ago, 500-750 per unit without the control gear, which you have.
No point to buy the halogen ones of course.

If this is just the outside lens then that can be polished off and recover almost 100% clarity, but at the minute we dont know if its the bulbs or outside lenses which causes the issue.

Polishing will involve wet sand paper, the cutting compound and then buffing, but it isn't a long process and not expensive.

Post some pictures and we will take it from there

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 30th October 2014, 09:29 AM

Thank you M-A8 I will do that tonight, I 100% require another Headlight for drivers side, the existing is for a left hand drive car so Dipping to the on coming traffic, I had a good look at the lights and think new bulbs all round and sealer to try and prevent the condensation inside would make a good difference Cheers Deek
Old 30th October 2014, 09:49 AM

Is there even different lights for lefthand drive?

Is suspect there is not but look forward to being corrected. My thoughts are that the headlights can be changed in vcds for conti driving and that fact they are adaptive means the beam can be steered.

I will say this however, when I took the car for an MOT the chimp jumped straight in an adjusted the headlights which worked perfectly.

First dark night out in the car afterwards the lights were ****, couldn't see up the road in dipped beam.

After some digging if you are to adjust the headlights it needs to be put in the correct mode before manual adjustment.

I would have a look to see if the adjuster is not broken on the headlight you are unhappy with then assuming thats ok play around with vcds to see if the adaptive light moves freely, there is a demo mode that can be selected so when parked, steering input moves the headlights noticeably.

If all that looks good, take it to get the aim adjusted properly using VCDS or Vag's machine.

Old 30th October 2014, 09:58 AM

Dealer or TPS part only I would have thought.
I'm ~66% sure you can take the bi-xenon module out from behind via the bulb changing cover and upgrade.
They come in a few sizes e.g. 90mm but part from that should be a straight swap.
Try the candlepower forums to find what the latest and greatest modules are.
I suppose finding RHD versions will be the hardest part.