A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 20th April 2018, 09:43 PM

Ohh... mesmerizing perfection!

All those details and fixes!

I feel so relieved that those redunant wires have left the body of the blue one. They never really belonged there.

Thank you for repairing that lower dash. It's been a pain to see it like it was, but it looked somewhat beyond remedy.

Looking very much forward to new and unknown levels of perfection!
Old 20th April 2018, 09:44 PM

Oh MJ, this is just awesome! Thank you so much for this, lapping this up over a cuppa tonight!

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 20th April 2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinny View Post
Ohh... mesmerizing perfection!

All those details and fixes!

I feel so relieved that those redunant wires have left the body of the blue one. They never really belonged there.

Thank you for repairing that lower dash. It's been a pain to see it like it was, but it looked somewhat beyond remedy.

Looking very much forward to new and unknown levels of perfection!
Oh to be you very soon, Vera.

Not jealous at all

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 21st April 2018, 03:45 AM

Seeings as the control module has been replaced, I'd be looking for a bad earth.
Was any of that butchered wire near the central locking module? Looked mostly under the dash... Any taps into fuse wiring?
When I bought my B5 it did not have remote entry. I got an audio shop to wire in an aftermarket remote entry kit.
He made a complete botch of the wiring and the car lost its soft-off interior lighting and one or two other niggles.
I undid his work and rewired it myself into the factory position (under back seat) and fixed all the problems that way

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 21st April 2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
Seeings as the control module has been replaced, I'd be looking for a bad earth.
Was any of that butchered wire near the central locking module? Looked mostly under the dash... Any taps into fuse wiring?
The door switches are being bypassed by the interior light bulbs, so door open = 0Ω, door closed = 6Ω. As far as the cluster is concerned, 6Ω is the same as 0 so it thinks the other doors are open when they're not. The challenge is finding the stimulus that causes this to happen as it is not consistent.

There were wire taps all over the place under the dash. None near the central locking module, but there is one in the relay box which I'm going to investigate today.

There was some aftermarket footwell lighting which would come on and off seemingly at random which used a Raspberry Pi-grade latching circuit and a foglight switch The Pi-grade board is not automotive rated and so didn't cope well with fluctuating voltages etc and I found with the engine not running it would turn on and off if you moved the passenger seat backrest Not the driver's seat mind, or any of the other seat controls. Just the passenger seat backrest. No idea what weird effects that was having on the rest of the car's electronics, but it was also wired in with scotchlocks so its also gone.
Old 21st April 2018, 01:19 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The door switches are being bypassed by the interior light bulbs, so door open = 0Ω, door closed = 6Ω. As far as the cluster is concerned, 6Ω is the same as 0 so it thinks the other doors are open when they're not. The challenge is finding the stimulus that causes this to happen as it is not consistent.

There were wire taps all over the place under the dash. None near the central locking module, but there is one in the relay box which I'm going to investigate today.

There was some aftermarket footwell lighting which would come on and off seemingly at random which used a Raspberry Pi-grade latching circuit and a foglight switch The Pi-grade board is not automotive rated and so didn't cope well with fluctuating voltages etc and I found with the engine not running it would turn on and off if you moved the passenger seat backrest Not the driver's seat mind, or any of the other seat controls. Just the passenger seat backrest. No idea what weird effects that was having on the rest of the car's electronics, but it was also wired in with scotchlocks so its also gone.
Judging by that info and Vera's description of how the fault developed, it sounds to me like some after-market device has been tapped into the interior lighting circuit (to detect an open door) and that device has failed (or perhaps just lost power), causing the circuit to be pulled to earth at that junction.

My guess would be the 6Ω you are seeing is the combined resistance of the bulbs between the door switch and the unwanted path to earth. Are you getting 6Ω at every door switch? Any variation between them might give a clue as to where the fault lies.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 21st April 2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
My guess would be the 6Ω you are seeing is the combined resistance of the bulbs between the door switch and the unwanted path to earth. Are you getting 6Ω at every door switch? Any variation between them might give a clue as to where the fault lies.
That's exactly what it is. Open any door (which itself will show near 0Ω) and all the others show 6Ω through the various bulbs in the doors and under the seats etc which confuses the cluster. The reason this is detectable is that I have the interior lighting relay out, so instead of turning on a light, the circuit escapes to ground through the bulbs. I've changed the relay as the original had a curious habit of turning off with the doors open (which it shouldn't).

I have a theory that the original rear left door switch chattering perturbed the relay somehow so when the door was fixed, the relay was then bad and the problem extended to all the doors. Vera pulled the interior light fuse to stop the light coming on, which ironically also causes the cluster to do the all-doors trick as above!

Good idea about the aftermarket stuff too. The random footwell light circuit was connected to the dash lighting harness. I'll have a check of the diagrams to see if the dash and interior lights are connected. Its entirely possible that relay board was causing some odd effects.

I've also found a scotchlock in a big ground wire in the relay box...
Old 21st April 2018, 03:15 PM

I like the theory that Mark and MJ have come up with, but could be a bugger to locate.
Back to the old fashioned way, cut the cct. in half, then in half again following the symptom.
Offhand, do either of you know what the resistance is on a working car?
To my mind only 6 ohms could be, like Mark said, dragging the voltage level down to a point that triggers the action.
Again it would take a lot of bulbs in parallel to drop the overall resitance down to 6 ohms.
Good luck with this one Micheala

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 21st April 2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
I like the theory that Mark and MJ have come up with, but could be a bugger to locate.
Back to the old fashioned way, cut the cct. in half, then in half again following the symptom.
Offhand, do either of you know what the resistance is on a working car?
To my mind only 6 ohms could be, like Mark said, dragging the voltage level down to a point that triggers the action.
Again it would take a lot of bulbs in parallel to drop the overall resitance down to 6 ohms.
Good luck with this one Micheala
Thats exactly what I've been doing, and it was that which led to my 'lightbulb moment' All the door wiring except the window motors goes through a junction box at the bottom of the right A-pillar (on both RHD and LHD!). Splitting it there isolates all the electronics and all you're left with is switches and bulbs.

In this pic, with power applied by the relay current sinks through the door switch to ground (red line), lighting the bulbs and the cluster sees a clear 12V or 0V on the sense line.

With no power to the circuit and T10 disconnected, the door thats open measures 0Ω across its contacts as expected. However, if you measure at the blue junction on any of the other doors the current (from the multimeter) takes the path in blue through the interior bulbs to ground via the open door.

The cluster inputs obviously float high with no connection so 0Ω or 6Ω via bulbs are effectively the same thing to the logic circuit and it thinks all the doors are open.

The central locking motor controls the relay which powers all this stuff. I have discovered that when you disconnect from it in VCDS it shuts down, powers off the relay and the cluster thinks all the doors are open!

It has to be locked and unlocked again to 'reboot'. This alone has caused me to think its broken itself a couple of times until I spotted the pattern

I'm not touching the electronics today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180421_003.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	18531  
Old 21st April 2018, 06:13 PM

I can only wish you good hunting with this one MJ.
I understand where you are at, but very interesting.
I think you are correct thinking that this is down to some amateur messing with something not properly understood.
I'd love to get my teeth into this with you. But then you don't need an old fogey peering over your shoulder.

Compliment time.
I've been looking all my life for a good looking young lady with mechanical and electrical skills along with a good sense of humour, don't bring your wedding dress to the Annual Meet I'd be tempted.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)