A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 27th October 2018, 08:41 AM

Default Power steering pipes?

Morning everyone.
Has anyone come up with a solution as yet for the no longer available power steering rack pipes for a fl s8 D2? Mine are ok at the moment but do look well corroded, it seems like only a matter of time.
Cheers Frank
Old 27th October 2018, 09:52 AM

Our best hope at the moment is Spectrum Hose Ltd that Sergey found who can put new hose on original unions. I've been meaning to send them a sample set of hoses to have a think but haven't got round to it yet. The main challenge I think will be contriving a replacement for the rusty union in the wheel arch since that also terminates the inner liner.
Old 27th October 2018, 10:24 AM

I was actually thinking of doing something similar. I used to work for a plant hire company up here in leeds who get lot's of hydraulic hoses repaired from various companies. Our problem may be that the ends get corroded and so may be un reusable.

I have been looking for a while for a sample set but as yet, no luck. If you know of anyone who has a set for sale please let me know. This is a project I am willing to take on through the winter, see if i can come up with a solution for us all.
Cheers Frank
Old 27th October 2018, 10:30 AM

The ends of the hose are usually ok - just a little surface rust. Its that union that's the problem.

As I have mentioned before, the first half of the hose is non-trivial. It has an inner liner which is supported by a crimped bush halfway along it and then supported at the end by the rusty union. In theory it would be possible to replace the hoses and insert this same support bush, and then put a crimped hose joiner where the rusty union is to support the end of the liner. That kind of creative thinking is waaay beyond the monkeys at your average Pirtek though

If you can find someone who is willing to work on this then I can bring my spare set up to Leeds. A plain 10mm hose doesn't work btw - the pump howls constantly.
Old 27th October 2018, 10:54 AM

What is the purpose of this inner liner, also do you know if any cross sectional drawings exist of this hose?
Old 27th October 2018, 12:12 PM

Well if its not there, the pump cavitates like crazy and howls while it's doing it. There is a nozzle in the pump union which pushes all the fluid through the liner which could be some kind of constant pressure / variable flow device (or vice versa). Its there in all VAG ps hoses in some form. It could simply be to reduce noise - I couldn't tell any difference in the steering feel with a plain hose fitted.

I've never seen a cross section of it, but I could draw one from the bits I have on the bench.
Old 1st May 2020, 02:29 PM

Still keeping an eye on this.

My steering rack was finally sent away to be refurbished in February. It was due back 'any day' when the lockdown started

The description given of the pipes was 'a bit corroded, but still solid & not leaking'.

Can't access the car to get any photos at the moment.
Old 31st May 2020, 07:49 AM

Hi all

Take a look at the picture below.........

It looks like by some strange twist of fate, I may be the one that tests out the Spectrum hoses. I removed the N/S front strut and bearing housing to do some suspension work and noticed the power steering pipes are much more corroded than I was aware of. What do you think, how do they compare to others?

More importantly, is this a job I can do on my drive? Equally as important, is it a messy job? I would rather not get oil everywhere.

Will lifting the front end a foot or so, removing the wheels and leaving off my N/S suspension give me enough access? The quick look I had has made me think that maybe the rack needs to be removed in order to get access to the hoses and banjo bolts?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200531-052145_Gallery.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	23416  
Old 31st May 2020, 08:02 AM

Thats crusty but not the worst. It may be saveable using my (still untested) new method so don't get rid of the old pipes. I'll get the Spectrum ones packed up today.

Its possible on the driveway but it is messy. The hardest part is actually the clamp in the n/s wheel arch so if you have the suspension off thats a good start. The two banjo connections to the rack can be done from the o/s wheel arch and will dribble oil as soon as they are disconnected. I would suggest some cardboard on the floor to catch the escaping fluid, and some carb cleaner / degreaser spray to clean up the chassis leg afterwards. Renew the banjo seals of course.

There's an M8 bolt holding the pipes to the rack a few inches in from the n/s. I would normally get to this from under the chassis leg with the car on the lift, but it should be possible to do it from the wheel arch.

You can take the pipes out from the wheel arch once they are disconnected as there is just enough flex in the pressure hose to get it out without bending the rusty hardline. Oil will go everywhere although some paper towel stuffed in the banjos slows it down. Because of the liner in the pressure hose they will dribble for weeks, even when you think they are empty. Lots of cardboard needed on the floor, although naptha-based brake cleaner does clean it out of concrete reasonably well.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 31st May 2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 31st May 2020, 08:35 AM

Thanks for that MJ. It's a little disappointing because I was just about to put the car back together after working on all 4 corners. I've not driven it since November and was looking forward to getting her back on the road for the beginning of next month.

I'll need to give it some thought. She's booked in for a 4 wheel alignment and an Mot next week so I could just potentially ask them to do the hoses. It's not something I usually do as I do most of my own repairs, and enjoy doing so. I'll give it a think.

It does make sense to have a go through as I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment and the car is not being used.

Cheers Frank