A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 7th February 2020, 09:15 AM

Default S8 D2 front and rear wheel bearings same?

Hi all
I am looking at replacing the rear wheel bearings on my car. Meyle have a complete set (bearing and hub) already pre assembled but only list it as for the front axle. Would this same set do for the rears?

I am trying to avoid having to buy the hub and bearing separately if I can as I don't think my press will be able to put them together.

Thanks Frank
Old 7th February 2020, 09:39 AM

Etka says not. The front bearing is 8E0498625B, the rear is 4D0407625H.

However, both are 82mm bearings and the hub is the same part number - 4D0407613D. I've asked TPS to check supersessions on the bearings - they may end up on the same number.

I have both in the workshop so I will check if they are physically compatible shortly.
Old 7th February 2020, 09:50 AM

I just looked up the parts on autodoc.co.uk and immediately found a non-OEM part that was listed as having both those (and several others) as the OEM equivalents, so chances are they're the same.
See the first item here: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/8e0498625b and expand the list of OEM equivalents.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th February 2020, 10:50 AM

Ah cool. I searched the rear bearing which doesn't show the front as equivalent but didn't do the other way round

There's no supersession between the two numbers, but I just bolted a front hub and bearing in to a rear upright. There is no discernable difference between the two so I think we can conclude they are the same part
Old 7th February 2020, 12:21 PM

OK everyone, thanks for the information.

Frank
Old 26th May 2023, 07:11 PM

Jumping in here. I am looking to replace front and rear bearings as noticed a low whining sound apparently emitting from the rear of the car which after 400ish miles has manifest into a not so low grumble sound (speed related) which is apparent as soon as you go over 20mph - which I can no longer discern whether it is the front or the rear.

Looking online the bearings for cars with 20" rims appear to be different front to back?

S8 Wheel bearings:

For the front: 4F0598625A - For cars with 20 inch rims

For the rear: 4D0407625D

You guys concur?
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 26th May 2023, 09:25 PM

Yes, the 20" front bearing is larger.
Old 13th June 2023, 01:04 PM

Ok. Got to work on the suspected nearside rear. After jacking up checked the wheel for any discernable movement, none detected. Spun the wheel, no grindy bearing noises noticed either. Removed wheel, brake and discs and used a bar to try and detect movement. None noted. The bearing 'appears' ok.

So jacked up all four corners, and checked for movement noisy bearings. None noted. Im flumoxed. Do i need to go further to investigate a dodgy bearing? Odd as when driving the car yesterday (quick and failed trip to Halfords) the noise getting worse.
Old 13th June 2023, 01:24 PM

Next step then is to loosen the hub bolt on the suspect corner and see if the bearing is noisy once its no longer constrained by the bolt. I had the same problem on Lucy's TT a while back - a horrible howling on the left but with the car intact I couldn't feel or hear anything. As soon as I loosened the bearing it was obvious.
Old 13th June 2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Next step then is to loosen the hub bolt on the suspect corner and see if the bearing is noisy once its no longer constrained by the bolt. I had the same problem on Lucy's TT a while back - a horrible howling on the left but with the car intact I couldn't feel or hear anything. As soon as I loosened the bearing it was obvious.
Do you mean the big uber bolt on the driveshaft?