A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 4th April 2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
MRC are a company based in Banbury, well known for their Audi/VW tuning experience. If you are local they are worth dropping a line, if not, there are similar companies that may help and probably some local to you.
I'm having the same issue with my 2.7T - could you please help what do you meant by "inlet flap"?
Old 16th April 2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
I had this on my B6 S4, cylinder 3 at the time, kept rotating coil packs, no solution - turned out to be the inlet flap - mrc sorted that and the lpg was fine, it was a BRC system
what do you mean by inlet flap? i have the same problem
Old 16th April 2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG27 View Post
what do you mean by inlet flap? i have the same problem
He may be referring to the flaps in the intake manifold.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 17th April 2022, 10:18 AM

Hmm ok, my 2.7T petrol engine does not have such flaps. Having missfire on cylinder 3, got spark, new coil, compression is good, on low rpm it just disconnects (maybe shut off fuel). New wires to coil and fuel injector.
Old 17th April 2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Hmm ok, my 2.7T petrol engine does not have such flaps. Having missfire on cylinder 3, got spark, new coil, compression is good, on low rpm it just disconnects (maybe shut off fuel). New wires to coil and fuel injector.
Just noticed the '2.7T'. A8s were never fitted with a 2.7T engine. A better alternative would be one of the various other Audi forums that cover ALL Audi models. Here are four such examples, all of which have sub-forums dedicated to the 2.7T engine. However, prior to checking those out, you should perhaps watch the following video where he describes (and identifies) his misfire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR3ZrwdylPg

Other Forums

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/

https://www.audi-forums.com/

https://www.audizine.com/forum/forum.php

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 19th April 2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I'm having the same issue with my 2.7T - could you please help what do you meant by "inlet flap"?
This "misfire" issue was just how it presented in VAGCOM, mainly on the LPG fuel side of things and caused me to go right through the engine tracking and trying things.

The 4.2 petrol V8 is quite a complex beast and the onboard error stuff is actually pretty basic, so agree with steamship, you'd probably do better elsewhere as this place is great for A8/S8 stuff, but we've not got much experience on other things!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 4th May 2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Hi There,

I'm trying to get the LPG install working and struggling. On LPG I get a missfire on Cylinder 8.

I know LPG tends to show up faults in cars that petrol is less fussy with and that's what i'm thinking as it's fine on Petrol.

I've changed all the coils and all the spark plugs. I've just swapped coil and pack from 8 (back left) to 5 (front left) with no change at all.

However we've also tried running injector from 8 onto 7 & vica versa which is saying the car, but.....Well what else can cause misfires???

Vagcom codes :

P0300 Random/multiple
P0308 Cyl 8

Any ideas ???

Lee
Hi Lee well it’s going to be fuel, spark or compression. Not sure what engine you have but for me with a similar issue turned out to be a vacuum leak caused by defective the oil separator valve, but that was on a BSM Engine. You may want to check all your vacuum lines and breather as another possibility. Cheers
Old 5th May 2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefferle View Post
Hi Lee well it’s going to be fuel, spark or compression. Not sure what engine you have but for me with a similar issue turned out to be a vacuum leak caused by defective the oil separator valve, but that was on a BSM Engine. You may want to check all your vacuum lines and breather as another possibility. Cheers
Bit of an OLD thread here. Fixed some years back. Was an issue with the "coolant" lines, a bit of a BODGE job by the MEH installer, which are used to by the vaporiser to convert the LPG liquid into a gas, as such it was like the system was starved by fuel causing the misfires

Everything appeared fine, apart from the engine codes, it was getting fuel, but not in the right form to spark properly!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)