A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 22nd September 2018, 05:22 PM

I might have to have a look in to that electricity deal

2 crypto rigs, a server, and a 3D printer mean I'm barely breaking even on the electricity vs earnings, but I haven't had to turn the heating on since the weather turned. I was spending on average £100 a month on heating oil - I haven't bought any this year! So, I shall keep going and see what happens when it gets cold.
Old 23rd September 2018, 10:29 AM

Default Spending BTC & BCH

I know some of us just like to hoddl crypto we earn but if you are like me than at least part of crypto is getting converted to fiat to pay for the electricity bills and you obviously loose some value on exchange rates. So wouldn't it be wonderful if you could buy everyday stuff on Amazon with your earned crypto and just use the money you did not spend buying that stuff to pay electricity bills saving on exchange rates. What if I said you could even save 5-30% on listed prices as well.

Let me introduce you to https://purse.io/?_r=eHU0vF Please note this is referral link and I will earn $5 for anybody that signs up and places order. If you don't want me to be rewarded just search for purse.io

How it works is you find what you like on Amazon, add it to your wishlist, import wishlist to purse.io and choose how much discount you want. Default discount is 5% and your order gets processed straight away. Minimum order is $25. If you are not in rush, want a bigger discount and don't mind waiting a bit you can choose up to 33%(15% on first order) discount. There is no fee if you go with default 5% discount but for larger discounts there is a fee payable to purse.io ( about 15-20% of your savings if you choose 33% discount in reality it will be about 27-28% after paying fee). Then you transfer BTC or BCH to your account, slightly more than required to have a little buffer for changing values and wait for somebody with amazon gift card to choose your order and get the goods ordered from Amazon for you. After you receive order from amazon you mark it as received on purse.io and BTC/BCH gets released to person who ordered stuff for you.

I have only used it once so far, chose max 15% for the first order, somebody picked it on the first day and I received stuff from Amazon couple of days later so all well so far and will definitely be using it again.

You could even buy BTC/BCH with fiat to get discount on purse.io, probably not worth it for default 5% discount but definitely worth a try if you go for bigger discounts although I don't know if or how fast will the order get fulfilled if you go for the max discount but my first order with 15% discount got processed on the first day.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 23rd September 2018, 11:52 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I've had that one bookmarked for a while but haven't tried it yet. Sounds useful

I'm more of a 'Hodlr' though. I've spent very little of my cryptocurrencies. In fact I like to buy more when I can, in addition to my mining earnings, which I also 'hodl'. I believe all fiat is ultimately on a path to zero. Inflation, government manipulation and corruption make state-run currencies unsustainable in the long-term. Cryptocurrencies are the future.

I have used this (UK-based) site a couple of times to buy gift cards however: https://giftoff.com/gift-cards

A couple more that I've bookmarked but yet to try:
https://www.cryptodechange.com/
https://wegift.io/coinbase/
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 23rd September 2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:38 PM

I understand it's not for hodlers but if you want to buy something on Amazon anyway and you can get 15%+ discount it could be worthwhile to buy BTC/BCH just for the savings. And by doing it you would increase use of crypto and help it drive forward.

8 history:
Old 23rd September 2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
And by doing it you would increase use of crypto and help it drive forward.
Very true

That's the main reason I like to try such services, and the only reason I have occasionally purchased stuff using cryptocurrencies (albeit mainly mining hardware). Well, that and the fact it's so much easier/cheaper to make a payment internationally using crypto.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 23rd September 2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 28th September 2018, 10:08 PM

Just a bit more feedback about purse.io Placed another order on Sunday with a max 33% discount, somebody picked it up on Wednesday and it arrived Wednesday, then did another order with 33% discount today, somebody picked it up couple of hours later and stuff should be arriving tomorrow

8 history:
Old 29th September 2018, 07:54 AM

Wow. That's pretty fast delivery for a 33% discount. Might have to give that a try

Cars Owned:

Old 29th September 2018, 11:30 AM

3rd order has arrived, less than 24 hours from ordering.

8 history:
Old 29th September 2018, 04:52 PM

What type of things do you get that levels of discount on, sounds too good to be true which would normally have me running but if you have had the delivery then it must be ok and I do like the idea of promoting cyrpto use

Old 29th September 2018, 06:34 PM

It does not matter what you are buying, you can buy anything what's on Amazon. The basic idea is that people with gift cards that do not want to buy anything themselves and would prefer BTC/BCH instead use their gift cards to buy stuff for you as a gift and you pay them discounted rate in BTC/BCH with the purse.io acting as connecting platform. Some buyers have large feedback/ lots of items bought, I am not sure any normal person would have access to that much gift cards so I suspect there might be some dodgy business going on either stolen gift cards or debit/credit cards used to buy stuff for you. Or maybe just credit cards used that never get paid back. I am sure part of the transactions are genuine and legitimate but there is probably a part that are questionable so it's up to your morality compass to decide if you want to use it or not.

As far as I can see your funds are safe as they are placed in Escrow style hold when somebody accepts your order and they only receive BTC/BCH when you confirm delivery or if it times out without any issues raised from you.

There is obviously no guarantee that your order will be accepted quickly or at all if you go for max discount, but out of my 2 max discount offers 1st was accepted after 3 days and 2nd in couple of hours. I suppose that also depends on the value of order. On one side many would like to maximise the value of deal, on another side not everybody will have large value gift cards available so less potential orderers for large values.

You can also see other orders and filter by country or BTC/BCH and decide where you want to place yours in terms of discount depending on how soon you want it to be accepted.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 29th September 2018 at 06:43 PM.