A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Generic car items

For Sale and Wanted - Generic car items For the personal sale of non Vw/Audi parts, tools, vouchers, accessories, anything that isn't an actual car. Absolutely no commercial listings or breaking / bulk / repeated sale of parts or services.

Old 3rd October 2018, 11:57 AM

Default No Longer Wanted: RNS-E Aux-in cable (now for sale!)

Does anyone happen to have going spare the cable that provides Aux-in capability via a mini-jack to an RNS-E?

I think this connects to the TV input socket on the back. It's an early model RNS-E if that makes any difference.

Ideally would like to have it by this weekend so I can fit it to my sons S4.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th January 2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 7th October 2018, 03:15 PM

OK, I'm going to have to do a total rewind/rethink on this!
Having inspected and scanned my son's 2006 B7 S4 today I find (unknown to him!) it has been specced with almost every available option, so:
1. It has a TV tuner, looks like an old Analogue-only one (4D0 919 146D)
2. It has Bose (he did know that)
3. It has an RNS-E (was that standard on S4?)
4. Telephone Prep with "comfort facility", whatever that means!
5. CD-changer, in the glovebox but no iPod/USB interface as far as I can see.
6. MFSW with paddles.

He doesn't actually use the CD changer, so that could easily be removed or at least disconnected.
He didn't even know he had a TV tuner.
He doesn't use the in-car phone kit, though there is still some sort of bracket on the front passenger side.

Edit: Discovered that the phone kit includes Bluetooth and it does pair to and work with the latest iPhones for calls. No idea if this can be subverted for music though.

All he really wants is to play music from his iPhone ( a new one with lightning connector) and ideally charge it through the connection if it has to be wired. Bluetooth would be equally good.
So what are the actual pragmatic (and not too expensive) options for music from the phone?
And can the TV tuner be swapped to a compatible hybrid (i.e. Freeview) model, and where is it located?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th October 2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 7th October 2018, 04:52 PM

Hi Andrew

RNS-E wasn't standard on the B7 S4, and quite often when you see it fitted it's not listed on the original build spec and has been retrofitted!

The TV tuner can be replaced - but it's not cheap as you need a unit from a TT or C5 A/S/RS6 - it's basically the same OEM unit as I retrofitted into my old S8 if you want to stay OEM. Shouldn't need different antennas either.I'll look up part numbers once my VM loads....

What he needs to play music is an AMI interface - Sergey has retrofitted one into his A8, but from memory it will only work with a 'mk2' RNS-E with the chrome volume control and less restrictive SD card size limits (i.e. it'll take more than a 4GB card)

With an AMI you could either plug an Audi lightning cable in, or an old 40 pin Apple connector with Apple's own short extension converter lead from 40 pin to Lightning (which is what I do in the S5) or plug in a tunes-2-air dongle which allows music playing over Bluetooth. Not sure if there was an AMI option for the B7, but once my Etka (now the VM has opened!) roles up a shed load of updates I'll see what I can figure out!

I 'think' you can get one of those natty bluetooth modules that plugs into the phone cradle as per the D3, but since you've got bluetooth for calls already this seems a daft option.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 7th October 2018, 05:33 PM

Thanks Adrian,
It's a Mk1 so the AMI interface isn't an option.

I know there are supposed to be music interface (wired or Bluetooth) add-ins that replace the TV tuner or CD changer, so maybe one of those is the way to go, depending on the TV outcome?

As for a hybrid TV tuner, I await details with interest!
HOWEVER it does seem that the current tuner is identical to the D2 S8 version so I'm not sure about the connectors; I'll need to delve into the boot and investigate.

Not sure if an iPhone can be paired to 2 different Bluetooth devices at the same time...….
Old 7th October 2018, 07:20 PM

You can get a bluetooth module that connects to the TV tuner interface, or a plain 3.5mm jack. e.g. this one, but search ebay and you will find lots of similar ones, some not form China!?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth...n/142918554243

Alternatively you could swap the OEM phone module for a Kufatec version that also supports audio streaming - like this one I am selling at present

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232931705490

FYI I also sold an original bluetooth module with mic and antenna, for exactly the same price - so could be cost neutral if you play your cars right
Old 7th October 2018, 08:58 PM

Thanks for that info Paul, I wasn't aware of the Kufatec module, though it seems to be only mono streaming which is a shame.
I'll give it some thought, but given that the Bluetooth handsfree is already working it may not be the ideal solution.

On the other hand the Bluetooth module into the TV socket needs a 12V supply and my son isn't into doing any wiring.

Finally, several options I've looked at imply that the RNS-E needs to have software version 0650. According to the VCDS scan I did today it's HW: H72, SW: 0650.

More food for thought...…………..

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th October 2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 7th October 2018, 09:06 PM

You could also buy a Grom unit to replace the CD changer, which would then provide you with Bluetooth streaming ability and improved SD/USB music options via FLAC, MP3, AAC etc...
It would also give you improved glovebox space

He's keeping the car then?

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 7th October 2018, 09:11 PM

In all honestly I'm not pushing my kufatec, wasn't aware of mono only but I only really used it for the phone briefly!

Bluetooth module needing 12V shouldn't be an issue to pick that up at the rear of the RNS-E, even using the dreaded scotch lock connectors

I am debating removing the RNS-E from the RS4 and going aftermarket, something with android auto/carplay. Reading this got me thinking about the art of the possible with the OEM unit.....

https://medium.com/@bendavey/bringin...i-3d7d3bd97d7a

I could see with the right CANBUS interface and time that could be made very cool
Old 7th October 2018, 09:17 PM

Thanks Marty, I've never heard of Grom before, but it seems to be very similar to XCarLink that I do know well, and have in my S8. Similar price too.

And yes, my son gave up on selling his S4 and buying and S6; bought a new house (in Hackney) instead!

Currently he sees XCarLink (and presumably Grom) as being a bit expensive for his (occasional) needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
Bluetooth module needing 12V shouldn't be an issue to pick that up at the rear of the RNS-E, even using the dreaded scotch lock connectors
Yes, I know that, the CD wiring is actually the place for that as it has both switched and permanent 12v supplies.
(I've used that in my S8 for the DVB-T tuner)

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th October 2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 7th October 2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
it does seem that the current tuner is identical to the D2 S8 version so I'm not sure about the connectors
Or maybe not, I think I'm mistaken there.
The D2 uses the "old" 4D0 919 146, the A4/S4 the revised "D" version with different connectors.

The hybrid version appears to be 4E0 919 148, possibly with B or E suffix - I await word from the Oracle (aka Adrian).