A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th November 2013, 02:05 PM

Default Fitting a Reversing Camera (and Digital TV)

Since my analogue TV tuner wasn't doing anything now, I decided to fit a reversing camera to the car, using the AV1 input on the TV tuner. The following is a guide on how I did it.

NOTE: This guide is based on having TV tuner B. Thanks to IT for identifying these in another post (http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=tuner).

First thing to do is move the CD autochanger/TV tuner so that you can access it better. There are four 10mm bolts holding it in place. The one at the back right is the most awkward one to remove unless you have a knuckle joint in your socket set. Once these are removed, carefully move the unit out and back to get access to the cable. You are almost rotating it about the front right bolt.

To get better access, use needle nose pliers and squeeze the base of the plastic cable tie holding the cable in place. You should then be able to push it up out of the metal chassis. This will allow you to move the unit further into the boot area.

Looking directly at the back, you now need to release the large rectangular block connector. You can either cut the cable tie or using a fine screwdriver inserted at the front and undo it. You then need to move the white locking bracket to the right. As it does so, the connector will come out towards you.

With the block connector removed, you have to separate the parts of the connector. To do this, you first need to prise the small black tabs away from the blue parts. I used very fine screwdrivers.

At the other end of the connector, you now need to push the blue part out. This is a snug fit, so some pressure is needed.

Now that the wiring is separated, you need to remove the blank blue section. This is done by just sliding it away from the wiring.

We now have the new accessory cable to attach. I purchased mine off eBay (from here). The leads are 90cm long and consist of two sets of RCA connectors.

The new loom is attached in the reverse of the above. First ensure that the ridge on the side of the new blue connector mates with the original connector. Then just slide the new one into place.

So far it's been easy. Now comes probably the hardest part. You now need to feed the old and new loom back into the original black connector. Because of the two sets of RCA leads, this is a very tight fit. Just perservere until you hear the small black tabs click.

Once done, you just need to connect it into the TV tuner. Set the connector in place and then move the white locking bracket from the right to the left, locking it in place. You can then secure it again with a cable tie.

Now to fitting of the camera itself. Again, I purchased this from eBay (from here). As well as the camera, it comes with a power lead, video lead and hole saw. You will note the red wire attached to the video lead. This is the signal wire, but since the RNS-D never had an option for reversing camera, I doubt it would have an input for this signal wire.

The next part is deciding where to place the reversing camera itself. I chose to put it just above the passenger side reversing light, similar to the way the boot button is located on the drivers side.

----- End of Part One -----

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds

Last edited by steamship; 12th January 2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Removed reference to more photos