A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 18th December 2014, 09:05 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

If you don't have the proper curved wiper on the passenger side, it'll 'slap' the windscreen rubber, particularly on the fast setting in heavy rain
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 18th December 2014, 09:38 AM

That kink/bend in the arm.

That would make it difficult to find a suitable replacement.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 18th December 2014, 10:01 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Not at all. My local car accessories shop had no trouble
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 18th December 2014, 10:03 AM

replacement to go Aero away from the old school hook arms.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 18th December 2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
The curved passenger side wiper is a must to ensure full cover without banging on the scuttle.
I've not found that necessary and mine are longer than OEM.

Passenger side IIRC is a straight 23" aero (OEM 22" curved) and it "just" clears everything, maybe some aero designs don't but mine are fine.
And both wipers park well out of the way on the lower black area.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th December 2014, 11:12 AM

C5 A6 uses the same curved passenger side blade as D2. Valeo and Bosch do vehicle specific curved blades but not much if any cheaper than Audi. I found that aero style or straight aftermarket blade does not clear well at the bottom on the passenger side due to fair amount of windscreen curvature but never seen them slapping scuttle trim or anything. You just have triangle at the bottom of passenger side about 2x3.5-4 inches that does not get cleared properly.Bending them improves it a bit for a while but still not as good as proper curved blades.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th December 2014, 11:24 AM

I'm getting my self really confused by what you guys mean of a curved blade.

I thought you mean the curved arms but now you're saying blade.

All blades curve like this.

Aeros curve more and are more flexible for shaping around your screen than the old hook style.
Old 18th December 2014, 11:32 AM

It's curved when you look at it from the top.

Edit

Here is the picture of curved Bosch blade for D2 & C5

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141218_113224.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	831.2 KB
ID:	9725  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 18th December 2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: picture
Old 18th December 2014, 11:45 AM

Say that's a 22" blade with a curve, its over all length could be 21" (I'm guessing and making up numbers here) tip to tip due to the curve.
So a 21" straight blade would have the same effect?

That's a shallow curve.
Old 18th December 2014, 11:52 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
It's curved when you look at it from the top.
Well, that's something new I've learned!

I don't think I've ever seen a wiper blade curved that way before. I always assumed people were referring to a curve that curves with the surface of the windscreen.

Why would you need one that curves like that? All my D2s have always had straight blades.

I presently have a pair of these on my D2 S8 (one 21" and one 22"), and they work great:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CXJZ330

Better picture of one: http://i.imgur.com/aOjZnNC.jpg
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 18th December 2014 at 11:56 AM.