A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 25th January 2015, 02:04 PM

Default Thrum

Hi Guys
I don't see my S8 as often as usual these days. After a couple of months absence- and a flat batt- I drove her last week.

A lot of the refinement and quietness had gone. In particular, the car (FL) was noisier at low speeds- bit like a blown exhaust, but it's not so.

Picked her skirts up quite well when asked, but at low power felt sluggish and noisy. Fuel consumption poor too. Missing the usual S8 pep!

I suspected inlet manifold troubles, or possibly exhaust leaks, but couldn't hear same under the car. It sounded normal.

I'm considering exporting my car to India to keep me company out here, so a bit worried about this.
It's a long shot, and I'll have A for Audi look at it in March in any case, but any ideas?

Thanks guys.
Old 25th January 2015, 04:57 PM

I guess from what you say that your are away at this time? But a scan may help establish what issues you may have before you take it to AforAudi . Being just across the water from you, I would be happy to help do that if you wish? - but I will be away all March.
Old 26th January 2015, 05:58 AM

David.
Yes. Away just now. I'll check it out when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it was caused by lack of use. I think the inlet manifold do dahs may have stopped moving, but A for Audi will no doubt get to the bottom of it in short order.

Cheers
Old 22nd March 2015, 11:15 AM

Drove car again. Better when cold, but problems arise every time she warms up.

Drives well at large throttle openings, but boomy on the over run particularly, and feels well down on power at small throttle openings. General lack of smoothness. Car is quiet when cold, but sounds noisier after warming up.

Turns out the clamps on the exhaust that join the down pipes to the rest of the system had broken. That's all four. Two on each side. They are all very close together just under the gearbox. Car was ok when cold as the loose joints were relatively tight. After metal expansion as the exhaust heated up, the gaps got much larger.

New clamps fitted, and refinement, power and fuel economy (....?.....) instantly returned to normal. Car running better than ever.

£30.

Last edited by Simon Wallwork; 22nd March 2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 23rd March 2015, 03:55 AM

Glad you got it sorted out for just a few quid. Good result.