A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 9th January 2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
You might need to recode the instrument cluster, I did. Hang on and I'll dig out the info.
Super!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I have 3 separate can buses that are all connected to instrument cluster: the drivetrain can bus for engine, abs, gearbox etc., the we have the confort can bus for things like parktronic, xenon, etc. and then we have just another can bus for toys called infortinment, for rns-d, MFSW, TV tuner, etc.

Are you sure your car has got all 3 can buses?
Well, I should have the Infotainment and comfort, since my RNS-D is working flawless with the DIS (turn-by-turn and info), and TMC is ok in the RNS-D screen. Also my navi cd is clearly labeled with DX...
Old 9th January 2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
When I did the RNS-D into the D2, I had to recode the cluster to get it to understand the different CAN, see my post here. Worth checking since the RNS-E needs the same protocol.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....6&postcount=23

VCDS - Controller 17, instruments, Adaption 10. Channel 62, previously set to 4, now set to 5 as per a post I found elsewhere on the internet.
Oh. I have done this step. Tried with 5 and 7. I have MFSW also.
Old 21st March 2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
A popular topic this one, so thought I'd cover it off thoroughly...

First up, from Kufantec.de:

The other cable is for converting the radio aerial from the two connections on the back of the RNS-D into the smaller twin package that plugs into the RNS-E.

bumpy bump
i've just test fitted my RNS-E and one of the aerial adapters for part 34403 doesnt fit. the larger round aerial connector is plug and play, but the smaller adapter looks to be male at the car side and also the adapter side so they dont lock together.

have i got an odd aerial in my car, or do i need an intermediate adapter? the original head unit is a RNS-D and the car is a 2001 D2 S8

thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 02:45 PM

heres two pics of the radio aerial plug on the car

and

Old 21st March 2015, 03:05 PM

ahha, further browsing of the kufatec website reveals:
http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/car...it-rns-d-rns-e

which looks like an alternative aerial adapter for the part 34403. the item linked above replaces the aerial connector that doesnt fit. hopefully!
Old 21st March 2015, 03:37 PM

This is what the back of mine looks like - similar original setup judging by the black plug? The aerial lead doesn't have a socket around it - it's just a push fit

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 22nd March 2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
This is what the back of mine looks like - similar original setup judging by the black plug? The aerial lead doesn't have a socket around it - it's just a push fit

ok, this picture is of the adapter lead from kufatec (photo of the car wiring in the background ), are you saying the adapter lead that you have is a different connector?

detail of the "different adapter" from kufatec, looks like it should fit and looks very like yours in the two photos you posted.
Old 22nd March 2015, 11:40 AM

I'm not sure tbh - mine doesn't have a plug going around the fitting on the back of the RNS-E - the aerial connection just pushes into the middle of the aerial socket on the back and can rotate.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 5th April 2015, 07:31 PM

quick update on this, i have finally fitted the RNS-E and it is superb!

a few quick notes, based on this install guide. these may make things clearer for anyone else who wants to do this upgrade. think of this as a brain dump rather than a step by step guide!

1. the TMC module behind the dash. you dont need any special adapters or anything at all to connect the radio. just unplug the two aerial feeds into it and join them together. they are male/female so a perfect fit. (i know its mentioned earlier but I wanted to clarify). thats it for the TMC, you dont need to unplug the electrical connection or remove it.

2a. canbus Hi/Lo. I got mine from the multiplug connector on the back of the clocks - behind the speedo. the multiplug is labelled (magnifying glass required!) and you want Pin 21 Canbus Low orange/brown /// Pin 22 orange/purple Canbus high. wiring into the canbus is almost optional, but recommended because you then have automatic power on/off with the ignition key, radio/track information in the HUD and display dimming.
audipages.com have an excellent guide on removing the cluster and finding the wires. read it

2b. you will need to recode the RNS-E if it is specced for a different model (eg mine didnt do any of the above quoted features until i messed around with VCDS). but this is very easy and the recoding button in VCDS has a handy cribsheet.
My RNS-E came from a S3 (i think) and was coded 0205755 but i changed that to 0305100. its easy to play with different values.
2c. when it comes to stripping the wires to solder the permanent connectors, i used a cable stripping tool left over from when i wired a motec into my racecar. they are invaluable for stripping insulation off cabling but not damaging the copper. mine is just like this one http://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-automa...stripper/97204

3. GPS receiver and heat reflective windows. If you are lucky enough to have the heat reflective/heated windscreen then incar GPS is very dodgy. luckily, you can use the kufatec adapter quoted above and use the standard boot mounted aerial. it just works, provided the standard aerial isnt waterlogged. i am incredibly happy the standard aerial integrates just fine with the RNS-E and picks up 8 satellites.

4. fitment. i did not need to trim either the fascia or the RNS-E. it just fit nicely. however i did have to remove the rear support from inside the double din hole because the RNS-E is deeper than the RNS-D. a few minutes with a junior hacksaw (be VERY cable careful here!) and this was no longer a problem. Here is the exact item i bought.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181682951427

any questions?
Old 5th April 2015, 08:56 PM

That's useful to know ref the fascia fitting - for the earlier units you needed to trim the C5 A6 unit down to fit. Can you post a pic of yours installed so we can see how well it sits in relation to the climate panel?

Might save me £200 on buying an A6 fascia unit to cut down!