A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 24th April 2012, 06:25 PM

Bingo,

Well, sort of.

Removed the cap (clockwise by the way), and then removed the old yellow seal from the sender which was showing signs of age and was rough round the edges and starting to crack.

Replaced with nice new black seal from the kit, and then the fun started. I could not for anything get the new cap to fit over the sender, no amount of reseating would get it to fit. I have resorted to using the old cap which went straight back on without the hassle of the new one. Only time will tell if that was a good move, particularly when I fill up next.

I have left the cover unscrewed for now, that way I can see when I next fill up if a pool of petrol forms on top of the pump housing.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 19th September 2014, 05:43 PM

just as i fix one thing (GPS), something else on the car breaks!
ive just filled the tank up and parked at work, only to be told my car is "leaking petrol everywhere".

it is dripping slowly from what looks like the top of the tank, where the pump/sender units are. so when i get home i guess ill be taking the boot carpet out and checking for leaks there

the tank is/was brimmed so i am hoping its fume pressure and a weak seal causing it to vent.

heres hoping i fix the leak before it combusts! ive had a quick look on elsawin and i think i know what im looking for...

Old 19th September 2014, 07:25 PM

That's what my D2 did, its an easy fix. you may get away without the repair kit and simply remove the cap, clean it up, and reseal it. Just dont fill the car to full until its sorted and you'll be fine.

Follow the link in post one, the first one and its dead easy.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 19th September 2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 15th April 2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
That's what my D2 did, its an easy fix. you may get away without the repair kit and simply remove the cap, clean it up, and reseal it. Just dont fill the car to full until its sorted and you'll be fine.

Follow the link in post one, the first one and its dead easy.
finally got around to ordering the repair kit from audi and fitting it. very easy job. the knack to opening the cap is to use a pair of plumbers grips and put the jaws into the two round holes on the top of the cap and turn clockwise to open. its only got to move about 1cm to clear the retaining tabs.

getting the o-ring out can be fiddly. use the smallest screwdriver you have (or a pick if youre posh!).

took less than 20 minutes including emptying the boot, tuning the stereo, and taking off the removable towbar (not related to this task). simples