A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 27th September 2014, 07:39 AM

Well, I'm different on that point.
I would rather have 1 reliable and quality battery than mess around with 3 different ones which are poor quality and unreliable.

Lets say this way, would you have rather 3x sets of Wanli tyres or one set of Premium ones such a Michelin or Pirelli or Toyos for this price???
The all are designed to do the same job, but execution is not the same

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 27th September 2014, 07:52 AM

Have not had any issues with Chinese batteries so far and at £63 I would rather cut the old battery open and replace cells.

As far a the tyres go it's second hand premium brand all the way for me which are cheaper then brand new Wanli. Currently got matching set of Goodyear Eagle F1 255/45R19 on S8 that I bought for £200 including mounting and balancing with 7-7.5mm tread and manufactured in 2011 and 2012.

But laptop battery and tyres is not exactly fair comparison.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 27th September 2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Have not had any issues with Chinese batteries so far and at £63 I would rather cut the old battery open and replace cells.

As far a the tyres go it's second hand premium brand all the way for me which are cheaper then brand new Wanli. Currently got matching set of Goodyear Eagle F1 255/45R19 on S8 that I bought for £200 including mounting and balancing with 7-7.5mm tread and manufactured in 2011 and 2012.

But laptop battery and tyres is not exactly fair comparison.
Ainar, I know, I was joking mate and it is a personal preference

For example I got a 40quid no name Chinese battery for Sony Vaio, not only battery live is crap, but it wont give you a warning, it just cuts the power off and all your work is gone. Not saying that all are like that. But you get what you pay for.
If Genuine 8-cell battery cost around 150quid and Chinese no name one costs 20quid including manufacturing cost, shipping, all the profits etc, well....

Good deal on the Goodyears And it is a much wiser choice if you go through a lot of tyres like a I do

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten

Last edited by M-A8; 27th September 2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 1st October 2014, 08:53 AM

I don't go through tyres like you. Dunlops on S8 were on it about 6-6.5 years and 10k miles, bought with 7mm+ and there was still 4-5mm left when removed due to wheels going for refurbish and not refitted due to age as they were 9-10 years old at this point. Was swapped back to front once. Michelins on A6 lasted over 3 years and over 30k miles starting at 6.5-7mm when bought and 2mm left taking off, was swapped front to back twice.

Going back to tablet- mine arrived on Monday, all looks fine, battery OK, reports 88% of designed capacity, in idle with screen brightness turned down shows 6hrs life, at full load and full brightness running Battery Eater 2hrs. Normal use should be 3-4hrs. Does need new trackpoint cup as old one worn.

Whats more I got another one, a bit newer X201 model with 2GHz i7 processor. Other improvements I understand include but not confirmed by myself yet RAM support up to 8GB up from 4GB, touchpad, multitouch and finger support for the screen, USB charging support for other devices while switched off. Downside will be shorter battery life. Probably some other changes that I do not know off yet. Just got the second one so not tested battery life or anything else yet. Also needs new trackpoint cap as old one missing but I already bought 3 pack for the first one so not an issue.

Bought 2 stylus pens 1 genuine and 1 aftermarket, will see how they compare.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 1st October 2014, 09:19 PM

Got my X200 today and have to say very impressed with it. Apart from the missing stylus (which I was aware of), there are only minor scuff marks on the case. Screen is perfect and keyboard has a lovely feel to it. Spent today running Windows Update on it, and little else.

Have got to say a big thanks to Marcin for starting this thread and making me aware of the X200. This will be so much better than the HP Mini that I currently use on the car.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 16th December 2014, 08:02 PM

That little laptop is a cracking tool/price/size.

I use my 2011 MBP, running Win 8 via bootcamp. It works well, but the size of even the 13" MBP makes in car use less than ideal.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.