A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 19th April 2017, 07:18 PM

Default problem programming fingerprint

not exactly a life or death problem but I cant program my fingerpeint into the car. I go through the process, select the finger, press the control knob then just get a message saying transmission error. I assume it's not talking about the gearbox but has anyone any idea what it might be talking about?

I don't have VCDS although it is in the pipeline, so can't use tghat to diagnose the problem. If its just a dodgy sensor I'll get a new one b ut dont want to fork out for one jut on the offchance.

cheers guys, gill
Old 20th April 2017, 10:29 AM

They are temperamental at best, faulty sensors, dirt, latest moon cycle etc is all it takes for it to decide not too work.

Mine played up for a while and no fiddling with vcds could get it to work, then by chance a battery disconnect for 10 mins seemed to fix it.

Old 21st April 2017, 09:03 AM

Same issue here. I was thinking to disconnect it for s while maybe when I have time.
Old 21st April 2017, 03:28 PM

I still have that problem with mine. I bought a switch off ebay and the error message changed from 'System error' to 'transmission error' (may have been the other way around).

Like Del, I played around with VCDS for ages trying to get it to work.

Lord knows, my battery has been flat enough times for it to have solved the problem if that was going to work.

Eventually, I'll probably pony up for a brand new switch. If I'm honest, I'd settle for borrowing a working one for as long as it takes me to store my fingerprint!

2008 Audi S8
Old 21st April 2017, 05:55 PM

The day on which Audi signed off on fitting these was a bad one. They provoke the OCD unhappiness response each and every single bloggy time you fire the, otherwise lovely, car up. Grrr

Last edited by tonupkid; 21st April 2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 21st April 2017, 09:03 PM

Very true tonupkid. It has absolutely no effect on the working of the car other than its there so i want it to work. its very unusual for the other half to drive the a8, but it would be nice to have everything move automatically, and then back for me, particularly seeing as the switch that does the back rest for the driver seat is broken. Makes it a real nuisance to get the seat back. For reasons unknown to humanity, my passenger seat has the four person memory but the drivers seat only has one person memory and I keep fprgetting to store the position.

gill