A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Our Other Audi Friends > Other Audis

Other Audis All other Audi related chat

Old 21st March 2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
I've always fancied a job as a new car salesman. I reckon I could lead most people into buying a high spec car through hours of boring accuracy alone. They'd buy all the options just to stop me talking so enthusiastically about 'em...
The only problem is, you don't want the customer to spec lots of options. You want to sell whatever is coming off the ship, or available that month. I've enjoyed speccing RS7's with ACC/Sports 'zosrt etc... that it otherwise wouldn't have had, and a customer who let me decide what to add onto his new Q7, I added about £10k's worth. Specc'ing the showroom cars is also lots of fun, but again, you've got to keep a view to selling them, and with £15k's worth of options, it's not always easy.

HP
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 21st March 2016, 04:15 PM

Just wandering slightly away from the topic, but related to showroom cars...
We had a test drive in a 2-series the other day fitted with Sports seats but no lumbar support.
We both found them uncomfortable due to lack of lumbar support and SWMBO was also annoyed by the large side bolsters, the adjustment of which (in and out) seemed to be minimal and pointless by the way.

So we had a good look round the sizeable showroom, just to see what non-sports seats were like and how the lumbar adjustment worked for us. Observations:
Every single car, except one (an X5 IIRC), had a black interior - we prefer light ones but guess we're in a serious minority.
Almost all were so-called "M" trim/style with sports seats.
NOT A SINGLE ONE had the lumbar adjustment.

I guess "old farts" like us are not seen as BMW buyers, despite being able to pay "on the nail" for anything they had if we wanted it.....
Or do they want you to buy on finance so that you roll it over to a newer model when the balloon payment is due?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 6th May 2016, 09:27 AM

On Monday we're having a test drive in a BMW hybrid! BMW 225xe PHEV Active Tourer to be precise.

Obviously, being a demonstrator, it's a "Sport" model with the wrong seats but it's the driveability I'm interested in at this stage.

Rather different system to the A3 e-Tron in that the battery is only recharged "on the move" by regenerative braking or coasting, not sure how that will work on longer trips.
Otherwise they seem somewhat similar though the Audi has a bigger petrol engine.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 6th May 2016, 06:57 PM

Just for balance here, I've had multiple BMWs and would never not spec the sports seats. The squab of the standard seat is too short if you've over about 5'8", but that goes for most cars too

The sports seats in mine have all electric adjustable squab, bolsters and lumber
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 6th May 2016, 07:07 PM

That's as maybe, but SWMBO (who is 5'4" on a good day) found the side supports just too intrusive, and she will be the main driver.
If we do buy a BMW it will have full electric memory seats with adjustable lumbar support (another option generally missing in the showroom).
Old 9th May 2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
On Monday we're having a test drive in a BMW hybrid! BMW 225xe PHEV Active Tourer
Hmmmm well, neither fish nor fowl, we were both rather underwhelmed.

In "driving behaviour" terms it sits between the A3 e-tron and the Lexus CT200h, so overall we were not that happy with the driveability, though could live with it (e.g. if given one as a company car). It was pretty noticeable when the petrol engine kicked in and that itself was rather rough - definite vibrations noticeable though not much noise. And pulling out at junctions/roundabouts in electric mode just didn't feel confident.

And there were a few other niggles that we had noticed on a previous test drive of the normal petrol automatic. So I think it's off the list.

On a constructive note, SWMBO did get to try some non-sports seats in another car and thought they were OK, as did I. Actually fairly supportive.

I think if Audi did the A3 e-tron with electric memory seats we would probably buy one, but they don't.
So I think it's down to V40 or XE now.......

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th May 2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 23rd May 2016, 02:59 PM

Default E-Golf upgrade...

http://electrek.co/2016/05/23/2017-v...ange/?pushup=1
Old 30th June 2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
So I think it's down to V40 or XE now.......
Volvo V40 T5 Cross-country (auto, 4wd) arrived this morning. Note the adaptive cruise radar panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V40-T5-CC.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	13742  

Last edited by HPsauce; 30th June 2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 30th June 2016, 10:24 PM

Phew! You can now relax having put behind you dealing with dealers who know less than nothing about their product, and enjoy the new (mean looking (in a good way)) toy
Old 30th June 2016, 11:41 PM

Thanks Nick, my preference was the XE but this is OK.