A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 27th July 2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jza8 View Post
That doesn't sound right. I doubt it would even drive with less than half fluid level.
That's probably me mis-quoting the tech... I wasn't exactly in a good frame of mind at the time - I was more concerned about finding a way back to London. He also spoke very softly, which wasn't exactly compatible with the non-resonated Milltek exhaust fitted to my car!

2008 Audi S8
Old 28th July 2016, 10:00 AM

Sorry to hear about your problems especially as many of us up here rate Mackies. But if you need any help (accommodation/transport from airport to Mackies etc) if or when you come back for your car then do shout. Be glad to help
Old 28th July 2016, 10:03 AM

The D2 5HP24A transmission is pretty famous for a fluid change being a "kill or cure" but it's rather surprising to see a D3 in a similar state.

That said it sounds like it wasn't exactly perfect to start with so this has highlighted a problem that was there waiting to catch you out sooner (probably) or later.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 28th July 2016, 01:49 PM

Sounds like someone else has had a go at changing the fluid in the past and not put enough back in maybe? Maybe that's what causing the changing issues. Unless it has a leak I can't see how it can be low on fluid otherwise. Very odd but I hope it doesn't cause too much pain, mentally or financially, but on the plus side when Mackies have finished with it, it will be like new and would be a shame to sell.
Old 28th July 2016, 09:51 PM

Thanks everyone. David, that's a really kind offer and I really appreciate it.

Mackie called me today and I'm afraid the news wasn't good. They told me it was one of two potential problems, and they didn't have enough data to decide between the two. The first is the gearbox controller at a cost of £4500. The second is a new gearbox at the cost of £9500.

I was speechless when they called, moreso because I was barrelling down the M1 in my hired Citroen at the time. I told them I'd call back tomorrow after I'd had some time to process the news. I asked if anything can be done to make the car driveable and they said they'd have a look but they doubt it.

Reading between the lines, I think that roughly means that they can't see anything mechanically wrong, but it won't stop doing it, so it must be software related.

The last two times the car went into a garage, it was noted that there was some kind of fluid leak under the car but it was difficult to say where it was coming from. Audi didn't find anything when they serviced it, so I told them about the previous reports and asked them to check thoroughly for leaks. They again told me there was nothing. I'm guessing the fluid that had leaked had become difficult to see and it was probably too low to leak any more. It must have been transmission fluid.

Tomorrow, I'll suggest it may be worth trying a switch back to LG6 oil. Considering the problem only happens when the gearbox is cold, my last hope of repair is that the software is mismatched with the oil.

If that doesn't work, it kills me even to type this, but I'm going to have to let her go. I love the car dearly, but we're in my fourth month of ownership. It's been at Audi for one of those months and I've spent Just shy of £5000 on it and it still wants more. Wow, this is the first car I've purchased in 16 years... It's a pretty convincing argument for taking the bike.

I apologise for the tone of this message. I'm feeling a little sorry for myself at the moment.

2008 Audi S8
Old 28th July 2016, 10:11 PM

Don't apologise for the tone. Think we can all feel your pain. Is there a (cheaper) way you could have a known to be working 'box dropped in there for much less than the prices quoted? I'd like to think there would be, given the sums in question....

All the best.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 28th July 2016, 10:21 PM

Thanks John,

Used parts are another option but the labour is still going to be astronomical. I just checked on Auto Trader and there are a few nice S8s for sale at the moment, although none have quite the spec of mine (although one comes close). My point of looking was actually to see if there was a cheap enough car I could use for parts!

I don't know how often these gearboxes come up for sale on their own. I thought there were a few different versions of it, so finding the right one would be a difficult task.

2008 Audi S8
Old 28th July 2016, 10:23 PM

If you could get it to Chester Transmissions (or even give them a call) they quoted me 1900 for a recon gearbox that would be as good as new but I guess fitting would be a few hundred, but that's still less than half of the cost Mackies have quoted you. They had dozens of RS6 gearboxes in there in bits too. Worth a try. If you can limp it down from Glasgee to Chester it may be worthwhile. Just thinking out loud really as I can feel your pain....
Old 28th July 2016, 10:25 PM

You might consider a 2nd hand Autobox, eBay.de have one for just over €2k.
See Image below for details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	366
Size:	605.8 KB
ID:	13887  
Old 28th July 2016, 10:27 PM

Tony I'm sorry to hear the troubles you are having, I know how much you wanted to find the right car

Don't know where he's coming with his numbers from, but ETKA says you can have a complete box with Mechatronic unit for 5000 before any discount.

There has also been a few broken in the UK so there is always options.

Last edited by Delboy; 28th July 2016 at 10:35 PM.