A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 19th July 2017, 07:00 PM

I love these sort of threads - well done!
Old 21st July 2017, 09:47 AM

Pictures of pedal boxes from both of you please

Dave, so is the 0A3 a direct bolt on to the 40V V8? No adaptor plate needed?
Amazing!
Old 21st July 2017, 11:21 AM

I've not started on the clutch pedal fully yet just looked at it. My next job is the front driveshafts and if these do end up being custom made, they would probably take a few weeks to make so I need to order them when I'm happy with the length. But at the moment I'm looking through VAG Driveshaft catalogues trying to find OEM ones that fit. Yes Goran the box just bolts up fine using all the original bolts (just needs a stepped nut making for I think it was the starter side. At fist glance it looks like the speedo just needs a 8tooth (I need to check this before I start making one) trigger wheel off the n/s front inner tripod joint. At the moment I'm just fitting it in when I can no rush.
Dave

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 21st July 2017, 11:32 AM

The 0A3 is fitted in the S4 with a 40v V8
The gearbox is a ZF unit model 466 and the same family as a Porsche Boxster and Cayman A4, A6, skoda superb ,so is a modular unit.
Dave

2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 21st July 2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
How did I miss this thread????
Probably because of the thread title Goran . All fascinating, and I'm watching with great interest...

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 21st July 2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awolfinsheepsclothes View Post
But at the moment I'm looking through VAG Driveshaft catalogues trying to find OEM ones that fit.
Have you looked at C6 / 7 A6? I was pondering that as an option when I was considering an 0A3 as they have the same small tripod joints, and they're pretty wide compared to older versions. The other option may be Allroad shafts with spacers. They have the same inners as the 0A3 and the same outers as the D2. Not sure how much short they are tho. I might measure them at the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awolfinsheepsclothes View Post
At fist glance it looks like the speedo just needs a 8tooth (I need to check this before I start making one) trigger wheel off the n/s front inner tripod joint.
I think its 4 tooth, or 4 magnets on a ring in the 01E. I read somewhere that the diff cover from an 01E will fit an 0A3, giving you the space for the speed sensor and the magnetic ring which drives it. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth investigating If you used Allroad shafts with spacers you could put some magnets in the n/s spacer to trigger the hall sender.
Old 22nd July 2017, 12:00 PM

Goran i'm very disappointed in you for missing this thread!
MikkiJayne I've looked a little at the c6/7 A6 but I've not found any that are perfect yet on the skf website and i'd rather not use spacers.
i did notice 01E sides cover looked the same, but i didn't to want buy a gearbox to find out i was mistaken. i think my fbg has 8 trigger magnets but I've not opened it up yet.
Dave

2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 22nd July 2017, 01:17 PM

I'm a bit busy at the moment, but if I get time before you figure it out yourself I'll fish both boxes out and have a look at the covers
Old 22nd July 2017, 11:20 PM

I just remembered a thread I came across some time ago posted on an unusual forum (not an Audi forum, and not really a car forum - none of us would have any reason to visit it other than courtesy of Mr Google).
You may know of the guy who posted it, he used to frequent the AudiSport forum I think, as he has done a number of B5 A4 V8 conversions in the UK.

Anyhow, a few years back he bought a D2 S8 with the intention to do a RHD manual conversion. He never completed it (or started it AFAIK) as he sold the car.
However he did post the following observations on the oddball forum:
Quote:
Yesterday, I took a look at the driver's side footwell, to assess clearance for the clutch pedal in my first steps to running RONIN with a 6-speed manual.

And just as I thought, the pedal cluster (brake and clutch) from a LHD Audi S8 6-speed manual won't fit. So a different approach is required. I'll be replacing the current wide brake pedal with a narrower one (manual) from an Audi A6 C5. This will give me a bit more room for a clutch pedal. So, I will be grafting in half an Audi A4 B6 pedal cluster, which will carry just the clutch pedal, and clutch master cylinder.

Happy days - 6-speed manual, here we come!
Quote:
I spent this afternoon looking at solutions to the clutch pedal in Project RONIN. I have cracked it. I shall be adapting the manual pedal cluster of a 2005 Audi A6 Quattro, this way, the "bulge" in the footwell of my RHD Audi S8 remains. I don't want to take a hammer to the floorpan, or cut the bulge out.
I don't know if this is of any help to either Dave, or MJ, as I'm sure MJ particularly has looked at any number of solutions...

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 23rd July 2017, 07:27 AM

Nollywood?

I'm not sure what the reference to the bulge in the floorpan is. There's loads of space with the footrest out - nothing needs modifying on the floor. The footrest just needs to be made narrower to make room for three pedals with OE spacing.