A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Engine Bay

D4 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 21st September 2013, 06:46 PM

Default Start/Stop ...

RTFM today and noticed that there is a start/stop cancel button. Interestingly that seems to imply that the car has start/stop? I've not noticed it stopping, maybe need to pay a bit more attention.

On a more interesting note, if it has stop/start then it should have a lower CO2 and tax disk than it currently does... Will investigate ....
Old 21st September 2013, 10:49 PM

If it's anything like the start stop I had on the A7 then you need to be stopped and keep your foot on the brake in drive for a set amount of seconds before it cuts in. I used to find it always cut out just as you wanted to drive off again and found it fairly infuriating. It switches the engine back on when you let your foot off the brake before you accelerate away. I used to turn it off regularly driving around own and use it mainly on longer journeys at junctions etc.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 25th September 2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
If it's anything like the start stop I had on the A7 then you need to be stopped and keep your foot on the brake in drive for a set amount of seconds before it cuts in. I used to find it always cut out just as you wanted to drive off again and found it fairly infuriating. It switches the engine back on when you let your foot off the brake before you accelerate away. I used to turn it off regularly driving around own and use it mainly on longer journeys at junctions etc.
On mine it never stops Might be my first trip to the dealer for an under warranty check.
Old 6th October 2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
On mine it never stops Might be my first trip to the dealer for an under warranty check.
Ok, I think I know why it doesn't stop/start. The car is idling at about 900RPM I think its too high.

I engaged the auto park on a slight hill yesterday, both feet off the pedals, next thing I know its disengaged and started rolling forward. I've gotten a bit paranoid so I caught it before I did a low speed ram of the car ahead. So I think its a case of the idle being too high. (I thought all this sort of stuff was electronic?).
Old 7th October 2013, 04:02 PM

I don't know mate it's too new and complicated for me but it sounds as if you’re not enjoying your 8 experience so far.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 12th October 2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I don't know mate it's too new and complicated for me but it sounds as if you’re not enjoying your 8 experience so far.
I love the car, just the weirdies with the gearbox. On the road it definitely ticks all the boxes.
Old 21st October 2013, 01:04 PM

Car is now booked into the main dealer to check out stop/start and also look at my percieved vaugness with regards to gear selection. Will report back when the dealer pronounces.
Old 21st October 2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Was driving round town this weekend and other than the obvious care you need when parking. The 8 is actually a very nice town car, the low speed ride is really good, with the sound deadening it is quite peaceful. Nice ...
Old 21st October 2013, 11:37 PM

Thats good to hear, glad you've bonded, now you can relax and enjoy it

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 25th October 2013, 05:55 PM

When I had one, you just braked to a stop, and then pressed the brake pedal a bit more to stop the engine. Silence is golden, but not sure it saves much fuel.