A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 6th January 2018, 07:26 PM

Great result, well done for persevering. A lot of folks would have got shut of the car and let the next owner be dealing with it.
I also had the starter and earth strap replaced on a 2006 Q7 with the same 3.0TDI engine last year. Difference afterwards was like light and day. It cranks so much faster and starts instantly. It used to have an intermittent issue causing a lazy/rough/smoky start but it always started. Diagnosis was injectors or a starter. Thankfully it was the latter as 6 new injectors would be £££.
Old 6th January 2018, 07:49 PM

Can the starters not be reconditioned? That earth strap is it complicated to do or a basic diy r job?

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 6th January 2018, 11:02 PM

I'm sure the starters can be refurbished as they are sold on an exchange basis.
It wasn't an option for me as it would mean having the car off the road for several days. Earth strap is difficult to get to on a Q7, an A8 engine bay may not be so tight. Starter swap was about 4 hrs labour from memory on the Q7.
Old 8th January 2018, 11:32 AM

Thanks Lee for the in depth master class pity those who took my money couldn't think beyond "computer says no"! Unfortunately at the time I didn't know enough to challenge their diagnosis but could do little than go with it or get shot of the car, which seemed drastic. I did however read up on the self help info on the forum, which enabled me to apply my logic and eventually get the fix.

Gone are the days when as a pretty good DIY-er I could clout the starter with a hammer to free the bendix or put a screwdriver across the solenoid terminals. What's even more interesting is that the breakdown service always got it going with a jump start but none of the garages ever thought to try this they just relied on diagnostics.

Thanks again and hope the other guys got theirs sorted also.

Bought at 9 months old - Ming Blue 2001 (51) 2.8 Quattro Sport with Sat Nav. 122,000 miles