A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 24th June 2017, 12:09 AM

Default Online stock trading

Just want so share a little bit of my experience and ask for advice if anybody else doe this. It's not a huge amount of money I am putting into it as i am just exploring and learning. I guess a proper course in it would set me off a lot more.

So a couple of months ago I registered on markets.com to do dip my toes trading, they give £25 free but I gathered it's not going to do anything at all so put £100 of my own money in it then another £100 and another £100. In total I have put in £300 of my own money and at one point I was £600 up but that's disappeared now and I am about £100 down now. I was wondering if anybody else on the forum does something similar and if they have any advice for me. I realise it is a gamble for most part unless you have inside info which makes it illegal and that supercomputers are a lot faster to react to any news and make adjustments a lot faster that humans but I also see that sometimes they tend to overdo it sometimes which opens opportunities.
More volatile things like Bitcoin and similar offer more of possible gains or losses if you are lucky to get it right.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 24th June 2017, 06:36 AM

Yes, and have been for a few years now.

Firstly you need to decide if you are trading or investing, because the difference is huge, if you are investing, which is to say, looking for longer term growth and gains then I suggest you do everything inside a stocks and shares isa to avoid any capital gains tax. If you are dabbling smaller amounts here and there then you might be ok outside of it but keep records for the tax man.

I invest, I don't trade, I also have made some mistakes when I started and fell in love with a certain oil sector, which reduced my holdings quite drastically at one point, but it was a good lesson.

I'd recommend getting the book "Naked Trader" as an introductory guide to the market, terms, etc... but don't follow it to a tee. I'd also start playing with a virtual portfolio on something like citywire.co.uk or lse.co.uk before dropping any real money in. Also, for live pricing tracking (not level 2 tho) google.com/finance is a good place to look as other sites are usually 15mins behind unless you pay for the service.

When you do start looking at real money investments, look at asset allocation to spread the risk, dont just chuck it all in at once, investing isn't about timing the market, it's about time in the market.

One thing I wish I'd known more about when I started was investment trusts, things like FGT, SMT, etc

It's a minefield, dont trust any tips online from anyone, stick to your research and don't stress every time you have a red day, because there will be blue days, if you've invested rather than traded in a good company it should even out over time.

For example, BAE systems was down for a long time, I bought them when they were low, with quite a decent a chunk of change, they went lower still, I held, they are now a long was up on what I put in, I'm still holding for the long term and reinvesting all the dividends along the way for compound intestest.

BAE is an example by the way, not a tip, Do your own research!

Hope this helps

Last edited by 1781cc; 24th June 2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 24th June 2017, 07:34 AM

I agree with what's been said already.

Two books on the matter I can recommend that I thought were good reading are live on the margin and how to own the world.

Old 24th June 2017, 09:28 AM

I agree with what's been said too. I have not invested anything yet but have been watching and researching for years.
When I do jump in I would go for big companies that produce something tangible like oil, cars, airplanes, and that pay a decent dividend. Shell for example has never cancelled its divided since 1940's. Its a really nice 6-7%.Then re-invest the dividend and you have slow exponential growth. There are opportunities to speculate even with these big safe stocks. Shell for example went down to 1400 a year ago then it practically doubled a few months ago peaked around 2400 this January.
I would also buy some physical gold, never buy paper gold unless you are just speculating, paper gold will crash one day because 99% traded is just electronic gold all those people wont be able to convert it to physical when s#!t hits the fan.
My problem is I am too risk averse, had I bought gold in 2008 when I first started looking at it at £400 an ounce I would have a nice sum now.

Last edited by Goran; 24th June 2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 24th June 2017, 09:55 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I've had investments in cryptocurrencies for a few years now and, more recently, I've done a little trading on the exchanges too. I've made far more by just buying and holding than buying and selling though. My portfolio has increased more than 10 times in value this year alone. In a few cases, altcoins that I purchased just a couple of hundred pounds of back in February are now worth over 10K. I own around 20 different cryptocurrencies now (including Bitcoin and Ethereum). Every single one of them has at least doubled in value since I bought them and the prices continue to climb.

On a related note: I've started getting heavily into mining cryptocurrencies this year too and I've been helping one of my business customers to build mining rigs. With a ROI of just 3 to 4 months, it can be extremely lucrative.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 24th June 2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 24th June 2017, 11:10 AM

Some good points of view here as well, cryptocurrencies haven't been on my radar so that's a good nudge for me to look at. Gold. Is also a good shout although I've worked for Paulson investments and there is a warning story about gold if ever I've seen one. Some trusts hold physical gold, like PAT (Personal Assets Trust) but you pay a premium for that level of safety, but a lot depends on your age, plans for the future and attitude to risk. I'm 42 and I'm using my S&S ISA as a pension alternative, divi paying stocks and trusts, reinvesting for holding and capital gains. Every so often I'll dabble with something fruity...

The shell story is a good one, buy good companies when hammered and hold on the upswing, Lloyds, BP, BAE and RR are like that for me.

The plan being that if something goes wrong with my health or otherwise, I can cash out and access the funds instantly. If diagnosed with something awful, I'll cash out and travel the world until I can't anymore.

If live is normal, as I hope, then I have a portfolio I can switch to income generation instead of reinvestment and draw down off that tax-free.

Last edited by 1781cc; 24th June 2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 24th June 2017, 03:51 PM

Thanks for suggestions gents, will have a look at those books. Not looking for long term investment at this point, I would rather put extra money in mortgage to pay it off sooner for now. What I am looking at is buying low and selling high to make some extra cash on the side, I know it's a gamble and that usually low risk=low return, high risk=high return or high loss.

We have SAYE option scheme at work where you save for 3 years and at the end you have option to either take your money out or buy company shares at a fixed price which was determined at the start of period with a 20% discount from the market price. I have taken part in the scheme twice as there is one every year and since followed the share price and I have noticed seasonal trends which made me interested in trading. For example it appears every year before the dividends are assigned price seems to be 10% higher that average dropping a lot straight after even if dividends are usually below 3%.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 24th June 2017, 04:56 PM

I have been interested in macro economics and finance since 1991. But I haven't made a single investment. There was one time I would have, but I was broke at the time.

The markets have become really skewed. They are not working normally, as the central banks manipulate the markets. To me, the question is, how long can they continue propping up unsustainable debts and stock markets?

It no longer makes sense to look at P/E or other valuations of companies.
Mergers is the norm to expand by taking on more debt. Companies also buy back stocks to raise value, along with executive stock options. Making it harder to find any real value behind the stock price.

So forget about the company, but look at what the large investors are doing. If they pull out while small investors pour in, be warned.

To me the problem is - I see when things are going to lead to a crash. But I have no idea when that will happen. Because there are forces at work that extends and pretend, kicking the can further down the street.

So I prepare the best way I can. I bought my house 11 years ago, and see that as my primary investment for the future.
I keep a very small footprint, as in low expenses.
That said, I do believe in precious metals, like silver and gold. Unfortunately, silver is not an option for me as it has 25% VAT in Sweden.

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 24th June 2017, 05:23 PM

Here is a few web pages that might be of interest?

economica.blogspot.se
Beware the demographic development in the world!

pentoport.com

Gregory Mannarino @marketreport on steemit.com

zerohedge.com

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 24th June 2017, 06:28 PM

'it appears every year before the dividends are assigned price seems to be 10% higher that average dropping a lot straight after even if dividends are usually below 3%.'

Just beware that you do not leave yourself open to charges of 'insider' trading if this relates to the company that you work for.