A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 17th June 2010, 01:34 PM

Thats a right pain considering you've just had the gearbox done.

These are great machines when they are running well and in top form, but my god are they a money pit when they go wrong...

Best of luck with the new and old motors, i'm sure Ben can get you sorted regardless.

2000 A8 4.2 Quattro – Green, S8 18’s, Xenons, PhatBox, and loads of other toys.

Last edited by builder22; 17th June 2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 17th June 2010, 05:43 PM

a new engine :O what went ping????
Old 18th June 2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli18 View Post
HI Amar,

What a bummer to hear about this. As you say, not fair considering you only just had the box done.

I know what it feels like to have the engine go...as does mike i'm sure. In the case of my old 3.7QS, it hadn't had the box done yet and the risk was too great to get it repaired at £3k+ but your is truly a unique beast and you've spent so much time and effort getting it to spec, it seems almost cruel not to be able to enjoy her for a bit longer.

I hope it works out ok for you and that you're back on the road soon - i've always loved that green and still have never seen another to date so hope it doesn't have to be sent to S8 heaven!

Good luck!

Oli
Sorry I missed this post earlier, thanks Oli. It does really help

I am bidding on a salvage S8 at the moment with the hope to get the engine out of it, also been offered an A8 engine from A8 parts but would only go for that if I supercharged it. We shall see, I'm in no rush now so can take my time and maybe even build something special
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 20th June 2010, 10:52 PM

Just read this Amar gutted for you mate,dont give up on it bring it back better than before(if thats possible because it was awesome)
Old 21st June 2010, 06:13 AM

I too like B@fink am interseted to know how you got from no fuel pressure to new engine and is there anything the rest of us can do in a preventative way to avoid this unfortunate situation you find yourself in now?
Old 21st June 2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graynada View Post
I too like B@fink am interseted to know how you got from no fuel pressure to new engine and is there anything the rest of us can do in a preventative way to avoid this unfortunate situation you find yourself in now?
Yes, it would be very handy to know what happened to your car, especially as nothing went bang.

Very worrying, but I guess very rare?

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 3rd July 2010, 02:39 PM
badger7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
Yes, it would be very handy to know what happened to your car, especially as nothing went bang.

Very worrying, but I guess very rare?
So what went wrong with the engine then Amar?
Old 3rd July 2010, 05:31 PM

The fuel pump was dying a slow death and the level low (I reckon a duff sendor as even less in tank than showed on dash) and a country lane, all added up to a very lean running engine under high load. It has eaten a spark plug and damaged the piston and bore as a result. This is certainly pretty rare and it's the only A/S8 I have seen with such damage!

Absolutley gutted for Amar though, he's only just had the box done and loves his S!!!!
Old 3rd July 2010, 07:07 PM

no chance of a rebore with oversize on the piston? The engine will be as hard as rocking horse do-do to find.
Old 3rd July 2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B@fink View Post
no chance of a rebore with oversize on the piston? The engine will be as hard as rocking horse do-do to find.
Tell me about it

Already sourced some RS 6 engines though
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds